Trying to install PP1 but RRS feed

• Question

• I get a message when I click to run software I cannot access the device path or file and may not have the correct permissions.  I had the same problem with the Beta which I had to copy to the desktop and launch from there.  This time with the released version copying to the desktop also does not work.  Please Help! 

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:28 AM

Answers

• This worked.

In windows vista, I right-clicked the downloaded file as described above.

I then copied the file to the software folder in the shared folders.

I then went to the server desktop, and copied the file to the desktop.

I was then able to double-click the file and install the update.

On the server desktop, there was no "blocked" indication in properties; likewise, from Vista, when I accessed the file in \\hpserver\software, there was no "blocked" indication.  Also, after copying the file and going to remote desktop, the error condition continued until I copied the file to the desktop; then the installation ran.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:58 AM
  • did hp update still had permissions problem BUT copied to desktop and it installed!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:17 AM

All replies

•  Rplenty wrote:
    I get a message when I click to run software I cannot access the device path or file and may not have the correct permissions.  I had the same problem with the Beta which I had to copy to the desktop and launch from there.  This time with the released version copying to the desktop also does not work.  Please Help!

What is the entire version number shown in the Resources tab?  Did you just download the PP1 file today?

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:45 AM
  • 6.0.1800.0   yes downloaded today

WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:49 AM
  •  Rplenty wrote:

Sorry, I meant what version number do you currently see in the Resources tab in the Console?

Rplenty wrote:
    yes downloaded today

WHS-KB944289-v1-x86-ENU.exe

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:55 AM
  •  

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.8
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.8
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:01 AM
  •  Rplenty wrote:
    Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.8
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.8

Is this a server you built yourself or an HP model?  Have you tried rebooting the server again?

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:08 AM
  • Right-click the file, select properties, then at the bottom of the properties box there is a section noting that the file came from another computer.  Click the "unblock" button and you will be able to execute it.  Pretty sloppy of whoever wrote the instructions to forget that step, and even sloppier for the developer to have written an error massage which states you don't have permissions instead of stating that "this file came from another computer... if you are sure you want to execute it, click unblock" or something similar.  Microsoft could stand to learn a few things from Apple or Google in the usability department.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:29 AM
  • I'm having exactly the same issue, on the HP-built server.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:33 AM
  • did a reboot still no go

yes I have an HP

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:38 AM
  • tried it started to run then got an error that it incompatible version.  now there is no unblock button showing and again get the permissions error

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:43 AM
  •  Rplenty wrote:
    tried it started to run then got an error that it incompatible version.  now there is no unblock button showing and again get the permissions error

There is also an HP update today as well.  You might need to get that update first.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:45 AM
  • This worked.

In windows vista, I right-clicked the downloaded file as described above.

I then copied the file to the software folder in the shared folders.

I then went to the server desktop, and copied the file to the desktop.

I was then able to double-click the file and install the update.

On the server desktop, there was no "blocked" indication in properties; likewise, from Vista, when I accessed the file in \\hpserver\software, there was no "blocked" indication.  Also, after copying the file and going to remote desktop, the error condition continued until I copied the file to the desktop; then the installation ran.
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:58 AM
  • did hp update still had permissions problem BUT copied to desktop and it installed!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:17 AM