Windows 7 system volume information file RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure which forum to send this to. But I have concerns about any file or folder that I can not access as the owner and administrator of my computer.

You have a file folder on each of my drives called the "System Volume Information" I am unable to access any of these folders. Although I know what they are basically for and know of risks accessing them, but this aside I should be allowed to access any folder on "MY SYSTEM" if I want to limit access to any folder that is my choice! 

I do not feel that those at microsoft or other places have a right to limit what folders I want to access on my systems. I have found other folders and files that have had the system deny me access. I as the owner of my computer and paid a hefty price for my software should have access to all folders on my system.

Any folder that I can not access tends to lead me to believe that someone is hiding something from me, for lord knows what reason. I have right to access anything on my computer, you are taking that right away from me, In my opinion. 

What is it that microsoft is hiding? It has been rumored that microsoft has hidden a version of spyware in these files. I know for a fact you do have a limited version of spyware hidden in your operating  system and other MS programs. 

Question is to what extent have you gone, is this why you hide files and folders from the end user???

There is such a thing as privacy and against the law to invade it at least here in Canada, no patriot act here, that puts you or anyone above the law.

With limited respect.

Thursday, January 2, 2014 5:45 AM

Answers

• First - if you are aware how assigning NTFS permissions and ownership work, you can easily adjust access to each of these folders.

Second - hiding of files and folders is not necessarily a bad thing: Many user with only basic understanding would only be confused by stuff they don't know and they think they don't need (but the operating system does).

Third - Access denied is a good thing, if it comes to malware running in user context - or to unexperienced users, who attempt to tamper with stuff they don't know, like deleting "unneeded" files (desktop.ini for example). (And then calling for support, if their system behaves strange or does no longer work at all.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Edited by Olaf Engelke Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Just Karl Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:18 PM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:09 AM

All replies

• First - if you are aware how assigning NTFS permissions and ownership work, you can easily adjust access to each of these folders.

Second - hiding of files and folders is not necessarily a bad thing: Many user with only basic understanding would only be confused by stuff they don't know and they think they don't need (but the operating system does).

Third - Access denied is a good thing, if it comes to malware running in user context - or to unexperienced users, who attempt to tamper with stuff they don't know, like deleting "unneeded" files (desktop.ini for example). (And then calling for support, if their system behaves strange or does no longer work at all.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Edited by Olaf Engelke Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Just Karl Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:18 PM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 8:09 AM
  • Hello,

I'd ask in the Windows 7 forum on Microsoft Community.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog:http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    My Book:Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C40686F746D61696C2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Thursday, January 2, 2014 4:40 PM