Moved files from store folder to root directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I haved moved my files for my store (7000 Pages) from my store folder in to the root directory.  So the URL's now read i.e http://www.jgdcrafts.com/pergamano-tools-679-0.html instead of http://www.jgdcrafts.com/store/pergamano-tools-679-0.html.  The reason I did this is that the content will be more accurate, through tthe software I use for the store.

My problem is that the current indexing shows everything in the store folder.  How long does it take for the search engines to pick up that the store directory has gone and all of the pages have now got different URL's. 

Should I be doing something to help them along, I have submitted my sitemap.xml file.

Regards

JGD Crafts
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi JGD,

Have you 301ed your old pages? If not, I highly suggest you do so as you will pass the old rank to the new pages. Old pages leave the index usually after the 2nd or 3rd crawl (this is a safety measure for you incase your page is down when we visit the first couple times).

Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:33 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi JGD,

Have you 301ed your old pages? If not, I highly suggest you do so as you will pass the old rank to the new pages. Old pages leave the index usually after the 2nd or 3rd crawl (this is a safety measure for you incase your page is down when we visit the first couple times).

Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:33 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:32 PM
  •  Brett,

Thanks for the advice.  No I have not 301ed the pages yet.  There are over 6000 pages and to do it manually would take forever.  Is there any automated way I could do it that you know of.

Regards,

JGD Crafts
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:13 PM