Backing up WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  
    Thanks to some excellent advice from Olaf and Jeff on this forum, I have successfully converted my WHS, that I originally built with 4 identical 250GB SATA internal drives to 2 new 1TB SATA drives with 2 of the original 250GB SATA drives.

I currently have just over 1TB of data in the storage pool.

Now I want to create an external backup system. I already have one Antec MX-1 cooled external hard drive enclosure with a 1TB Hitachi 7200 SATA drive.

My question is, can I backup my WHS over 2 external 1TB drives if I get another identical Antec MX-1 external enclosure with another 1TB Hitachi 7200 SATA drive?

Also, what is a good choice for a PCI card that will let me use the faster SATA connection on these external drives rather than the USB that they also have?

Many thanks in advance for your input.

Friday, November 14, 2008 4:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no way at the moment of doing a complete duplication of your WHS, which is what it sounds like you were thinking. Also, it wouldn't work, as the data on the C: partition changes so regularly, the copy would be out of date nearly immediately.

However, there is an Add-In, WHS Backup Database-Backup which can duplicate your Client Backups to an external drive, (USB or SATA). Also, with PP1 installed, you can add another drive to the system but not in the Storage Pool and then from the Computers & Backup tab of the Console, you can backup any or all of your Shared Folders.

If that isn't what you were thinking, let us know, I'm sure there are other answers!

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no way at the moment of doing a complete duplication of your WHS, which is what it sounds like you were thinking. Also, it wouldn't work, as the data on the C: partition changes so regularly, the copy would be out of date nearly immediately.

However, there is an Add-In, WHS Backup Database-Backup which can duplicate your Client Backups to an external drive, (USB or SATA). Also, with PP1 installed, you can add another drive to the system but not in the Storage Pool and then from the Computers & Backup tab of the Console, you can backup any or all of your Shared Folders.

If that isn't what you were thinking, let us know, I'm sure there are other answers!

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, November 14, 2008 5:50 PM
  • Hi,
    on top of what Colin said, consider also to keep the server backups somewhat portable, so that you can at least store one of your backups offsite or at least in another room and not permanently connected. So you will have still something to restore, if catastrophical events like a voltage spike, fire or water, a virus or theft are hitting not only your WHS, but also the attached backup storage devices.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 14, 2008 8:48 PM