Windows Home Server can received INCOMING connections from internet, but CANNOT SEND to the internet RRS feed

• Question

• I had some sort of crash, so I restarted the server.  I can get inbound connections fine and remote connection works well.  However, I cannot get a connection TO the internet from the server to do things like update the software.

What setting or configuration could possibly be wrong.  I checked the NAT ports on the router and it is just fine.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:22 PM

All replies

• Are you using the client on your PC to try to get the WHS to check for updates?  Try RDP'ing onto the WHS and visit the Update site manually to watch for error messages.  Any chance anti-virus on the WHS is blocking a connection?  If you have manual NAT settings on router, perhaps the WHS has changed IP's (doubtful since other things are working).

Drew
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I do not have a headless server.  When I try to update manually, it cannot find a connection and times out.  Also if I try to use the browser

on the server computer, it doesn't get a connection. 

Is there a particular port that must be opened to get outbound connections?  I thought I checked them all and that they were ok?

Something is definitely blocking. 

If all else fails, how big a a deal is it to re-install the server?  Will it reconnect all of my drives automatically after the reinstallation?

Thanks!

Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Do you have more than one NIC?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:38 PM
  • I only have one NIC.  I decided to stop the WHS and when I restarted it, there were some errors, but the file that contained the errors were indecipherable.  Do you know any of these codes? 

PS:  If I get frustrated and have to reinstall how difficult would it be and would it re-identify the network drives that have been set up?

Thanks!

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:03 AM
  • Server recovery will, generally, not be much of a problem. You'll have to recreate users and rejoin client computers to the server. You'll also have to reinstall any add-ins you may be using, as well as any software you may have installed from the desktop. When you rejoin your client computers, they will normally reconnect with their old backups.

Some caveats for reinstallation:

• You should be careful that you choose the recovery option, rather than the reset option. the latter will wipe all your drives.
    • If you need separate drivers for even one of your drives (for example, SATA drivers) you must supply those drivers on floppy disk at the "Press F6" prompt just after the reboot into text mode setup.
    • If your system drive isn't the "first" drive presented by the BIOS, you may struggle with getting setup to give you the recovery option. In that case your best bet is to see this FAQ:
      http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 15, 2011 12:43 PM