trying to restore .pst file from backup, and file date is current? RRS feed

• Question

• Oh boy... this is a mess.  I will give as much detail as possible but I will ask the burning question first: Why, when I look at a backup and see the files on an explorer window that is entitled "Mellissa-PC from 24-05-2009" why does the file that I want to restore have a file date of today????  Ok, back to the beginning: Windows Update downloaded an update and screwed up my copy of Outlook 2002 - saying it needed an install of outlook express 4.01 and after not being able to back that update out, I had to wipe my hard drive and start again. I had Vista Home premium (sp2) re-installed and connected back to WHS. I activated the free trial of Windows 2007 and tried to open the backup version of my Outlook 2002 .pst file. No luck. I reinstalled Outlook 2002 and tried to use it but it wouldn't open, saying the folder didn't exist. (no hints as to which folder, but there you go).  I uninstalled Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2002 and reinstalled Outlook 2002 but got the same error messages. Uninstalled 2002 again.  (These install/uninstalls are all done using Control panel or the setup.exe on the disks).  I used RegCure to clean up the registry entries. I copied the backed up version of the .pst file onto my computer and noticed at that point that the date on the backup version of the .pst was that day's date.

I finally broke down and bought Outlook 2007 and installed it.  I experienced a measure of success in that I can send and recieve mail. I gained a new file called outlook1.pst - the file that was automatically created when I loaded Outlook 2007.  Reading some help files, I found that there's a big difference between the 2002 and 2007 .pst files and (screwed up) managed to convert the outlook1.pst file to 2002 format and made the outlook.pst file into a 2007 file but I still don't have my original inbox subfolders and contacts. I still have both these .pst files (i.e., I have two inboxes) in Outlook 2007.

To add to this pile of misery... in Outlook 2002, I was never able to access a Contact list. Anytime I wanted to look at addresses, I had to click on the address book icon.  Does this mean I will never be able to restore these addresses or are they hiding somehow in the .pst file on WHS?

I wish I could restore my original inbox (knowing what I know now) into my current Outlook 2007 program but when I look at the version on WHS it has today's date on it.  How can this be?  How can I restore these items?  I am so lost without my address book and I have literally tons of important emails (evidence in a divorce trial) that I thought I was being so good about backing up??!?

Is there a WHS/Outlook guru out there that loves a puzzle?  Feel free to email directly to mruryk @ hotmail.com

Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:38 PM

All replies

• Oh boy... this is a mess.  I will give as much detail as possible but I will ask the burning question first: Why, when I look at a backup and see the files on an explorer window that is entitled "Mellissa-PC from 24-05-2009" why does the file that I want to restore have a file date of today????

It shouldn't.  Mine shows the date of the files as they were at the time the backups were created.

Ok, back to the beginning: Windows Update downloaded an update and screwed up my copy of Outlook 2002 - saying it needed an install of outlook express 4.01 and after not being able to back that update out, I had to wipe my hard drive and start again. I had Vista Home premium (sp2) re-installed and connected back to WHS. I activated the free trial of Windows 2007 and tried to open the backup version of my Outlook 2002 .pst file. No luck. I reinstalled Outlook 2002 and tried to use it but it wouldn't open, saying the folder didn't exist. (no hints as to which folder, but there you go).  I uninstalled Outlook 2007 and Outlook 2002 and reinstalled Outlook 2002 but got the same error messages. Uninstalled 2002 again.  (These install/uninstalls are all done using Control panel or the setup.exe on the disks).  I used RegCure to clean up the registry entries. I copied the backed up version of the .pst file onto my computer and noticed at that point that the date on the backup version of the .pst was that day's date.

I finally broke down and bought Outlook 2007 and installed it.  I experienced a measure of success in that I can send and recieve mail. I gained a new file called outlook1.pst - the file that was automatically created when I loaded Outlook 2007.  Reading some help files, I found that there's a big difference between the 2002 and 2007 .pst files and (screwed up) managed to convert the outlook1.pst file to 2002 format and made the outlook.pst file into a 2007 file but I still don't have my original inbox subfolders and contacts. I still have both these .pst files (i.e., I have two inboxes) in Outlook 2007.

To add to this pile of misery... in Outlook 2002, I was never able to access a Contact list. Anytime I wanted to look at addresses, I had to click on the address book icon.  Does this mean I will never be able to restore these addresses or are they hiding somehow in the .pst file on WHS?

I wish I could restore my original inbox (knowing what I know now) into my current Outlook 2007 program but when I look at the version on WHS it has today's date on it.  How can this be?  How can I restore these items?

As I said above, it shouldn't do that.  Did you try restoring the PST file anyway (even though it has the wrong date)?  You could restore it to an alternate location and try opening it to see what it has.

I am so lost without my address book and I have literally tons of important emails (evidence in a divorce trial) that I thought I was being so good about backing up??!?

Is there a WHS/Outlook guru out there that loves a puzzle?  Feel free to email directly to mruryk @ hotmail.com

Sunday, June 21, 2009 9:14 PM
  • It sounds like you're able to restore successfully from your server, so I don't think the problem lies with WHS. There are Microsoft Office discussion groups; I would post in the Outlook group, where you may get more help regarding the version compatibility issues you're experiencing.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:15 PM