Backup can't access backup device RRS feed

• Question

• After subscribing and getting an automatic upgrade, OneCare can no longer access my backup drive.  It is an external USB drive. The drive and it's size attributes are visible under 'My Computer'.  I can move files back and forth to the drive without issue.  I have gone back into the backup settings and made sure to unassign and then reassign the drive as a central backup location.  The cause is listed as "unknown errors".

Saturday, February 9, 2008 12:24 AM

Answers

• Figured it out.  With all the new stuff added, increasing the irpstacksize in the registry did it.  Like another post here, I'm disabling my floppy drive until an update to onecare stops it from being hit all the time while using backup.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 12:56 AM

All replies

• Figured it out.  With all the new stuff added, increasing the irpstacksize in the registry did it.  Like another post here, I'm disabling my floppy drive until an update to onecare stops it from being hit all the time while using backup.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 12:56 AM
  • Now, how did you come to this solution, Chuckler? I'm glad you did and wonder what the value was and what you changed it to... Had you changed it previously for tweaking?

I found this information on how to do this, but it doesn't indicate why - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285089

And I found a nice blog entry from the Internals team that explains what you did - http://blogs.technet.com/askcore/archive/2008/01/25/irpstacksize-and-clusters.aspx

-steve

Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:14 AM
  • hey i am having the same issue but with a cd rom backup not an external drive, any advise? i am ripping my hair out trying to figure out why i get the unknown error issue, qwest of course is zero help

Saturday, February 9, 2008 11:06 AM
  •  

After trolling my event logs for something useful, I found this reported by 'Srv', which I believe is the Server Service, in the system event log:

"The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

I am running Windows XP PRO SP2.  I have never tweaked the irpstacksize, I changed it to 15 from 11 and that fixed the issue.

Clicking on the link in the error took me to this:

Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 2011
    Source: Srv
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_SRV_IRP_STACK_SIZE
    Message: The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter.

Explanation

The server is configured with too many file system filter drivers (for example, Quota and anti-virus) and/or too many devices, or the irpstacksize parameter is set to less than the default of 15 stack frames. The irpstacksize represents the number of kernel modules that can store information in the input/output (I/O) Request Packet (IRP). The IRP is used to track I/O requests in the kernel.

User Action

The irpstacksize parameter can be increased by changing the registry value.

To change the registry value

1. Using Regedit, open the following registry key:
      HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\IrpStackSize
    2. In the Value data box, type 15.

The default size is 15 stack frames. Each stack frame is 50 bytes. If the value is less than 15, advanced users can safely set it back to 15. If 15 is too small, try increasing the number by increments of 5 until this event is no longer logged. Changing this registry key requires a restart of the Server service.

Version: 5.0
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_SRV_IRP_STACK_SIZE
    Message: The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter.

Explanation

The server is configured with too many file system filter drivers (for example, Quota and anti-virus) and/or too many devices, or the irpstacksize parameter is set to less than the default of 15 stack frames. The irpstacksize represents the number of kernel modules that can store information in the input/output (I/O) Request Packet (IRP). The IRP is used to track I/O requests in the kernel.

User Action

The irpstacksize parameter can be increased by changing the registry value.

To change the registry value

1. Using Regedit, open the following registry key:
      HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\IrpStackSize
    2. In the Value data box, type 15.

The default size is 15 stack frames. Each stack frame is 50 bytes. If the value is less than 15, advanced users can safely set it back to 15. If 15 is too small, try increasing the number by increments of 5 until this event is no longer logged. Changing this registry key requires a restart of the Server service.

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx.

Saturday, February 9, 2008 11:59 PM