How to Add User to CRM4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

I understand you are able to enable and disable the ability to create users from the CRM application using the deployment config tool, however if you disable this feature how do you actually add users to the organisation?

For example we have customer A who we want to stop from creating accounts directly, so we disable the ability to create accounts for their organisation. When customer A wants a new user added they contact support and request a new account is setup. how would support add this to their organisation for them?

Also does CRM 5.0 provide any new multi tenancy features.

Many thanks

Adam

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Adam,

You can restrict users in a CRM 4 org to be only able to add users to CRM from their particular Active Directory OU. I tend to create users for each hosted CRM org in their own OU and then run the below to stop them seeing/adding users from other OUs. If they purchase another user license, I create the AD user in their OU and then their system admin can add the user to CRM.

Microsoft.Crm.DeploymentConfigTool.exe userorgsettings update -organization:"OrgName" 
    -propertyname:UserRootPath -propertyvalue:"LDAP://myDomain.com/OU=myOrgOU;DC=myDomain;DC=com"

Obviously replace OrgName with the CRM org to lock down, myDomain with your domain and myOrgOU with the OU containing the org's users.

CRM 2011 implements IFD mode via AD Federation Services, so it can be a bit trickier to configure than in CRM 4 if you've never used it. Download the trial and test it out if you get the chance.

Neil.

Neil - My CRM Blog
    • Marked as answer by Adam42 Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:02 PM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Adam,

You can restrict users in a CRM 4 org to be only able to add users to CRM from their particular Active Directory OU. I tend to create users for each hosted CRM org in their own OU and then run the below to stop them seeing/adding users from other OUs. If they purchase another user license, I create the AD user in their OU and then their system admin can add the user to CRM.

Microsoft.Crm.DeploymentConfigTool.exe userorgsettings update -organization:"OrgName" 
    -propertyname:UserRootPath -propertyvalue:"LDAP://myDomain.com/OU=myOrgOU;DC=myDomain;DC=com"

Obviously replace OrgName with the CRM org to lock down, myDomain with your domain and myOrgOU with the OU containing the org's users.

CRM 2011 implements IFD mode via AD Federation Services, so it can be a bit trickier to configure than in CRM 4 if you've never used it. Download the trial and test it out if you get the chance.

Neil.

Neil - My CRM Blog
    • Marked as answer by Adam42 Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:02 PM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Why would you want to stop a customer adding users or even make it difficult to for them to add a user to their CRM system? After all, they're paying you and presumably they are paying on a per user basis. So the more users then add, the better for your revenue?

Most hosting providers use a customer portal (aka control panel) where a customer's sys admin can provision new users. They can add the user to CRM, Exchange, etc. and the user also gets added to the hosting providers billing system as a new subscriber. You can either build your own customer portal or buy one from any of the HMC control panel providers.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Hi Neil

Excellent this is just what we were after. Just found out that CRM 2011 is not available on SPLA yet, I wonder why that is, BPOS by any chance!

many thanks

Adam

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Hi Neil

We currently use a control panel (for CRM4.0) but the dev guys cannot keep up with product releases quick enough for our liking. We already have an out of date panel becuase we have moved to Lync whilst the panel still only supports OCS 2007 R2. We were planning on moving to CRM 2011 and wanted to understand how we could control user account creation easily hence the reason for my post. We want to keep tight control over this.

Thanks for your input

Adam

Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Hello,

can we use same tool with crm 2011?

thx

ja
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:33 AM
  • got that !!!!

it works like a charm.............

ja
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:52 AM