What Windows Services must run on a desktop participating in a WHS network? RRS feed

• Question

• What Windows Services must run on a desktop participating in a WHS network?
    I have disabled some services and wanted to know which services are required to keep WHS Connector and backups working properly on the desktop machine.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 7:46 PM

All replies

• Probably anything that says Windows Home Server and all dependencies within those services. It's quite a bit to map out, you're best leaving the default as is, as the WHS setup already seems to disable unnecessary services.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:20 PM
  • What Windows Services must run on a desktop participating in a WHS network?
    I have disabled some services and wanted to know which services are required to keep WHS Connector and backups working properly on the desktop machine.

I can tell you a key service that must be running is Security Accounts Manger, if it is on manual or disabled the connector software will not run at all. If you try to install it it will stop  if that service id disabled. I would agree that anything else WHS should be running.
    • Proposed as answer by Lunker 1 Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:39 AM
  • I've answered my own question after trying to back up several differently-configured computers.

These must be running or PC backups cannot work:
    MS Software Shadow Copy Provider (SwPrv)  (Manual)
    Volume Shadow Copy (VSS)  (Automatic)
    Windows Home Server Connector (WHSConnector)  (Automatic)

These do NOT seem to be required but they were reset to "Automatic" or "Manual" when installing the Connector (I had them all disabled prior to installation):
    Error Reporting Service (ERSvc)  (totally unnecessary)
    Security Center (wscsvc) (apparently this is for pop-up network health messages)
    System Restore Service (srservice)  (this was turned on for all drives)
    System Event Notification (SENS)

These do NOT need to be running even though it seems they should be:
    Distributed Link Tracking Client (TrkWks)
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MSDTC)

Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:04 PM