Mediation Server configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody

I'm runnning 4 virtual machines. Two with Windows Server 2003 and two with Windows XP SP3.
    All the ocs2007 services are up and running on the Window Server virtual machine. I can  make local calls between my 2 Windowsclients using OCS.

On the fourth virtual Windows Server 2003 machine I've installed a Mediation Server. The installation was done correct.

Now I have to configure the Mediation Server to make external calls.

The ipaddress of my OCSserver is 192.168.30.1
    The ipaddress of the router's interface (default gateway) is 192.168.30.2
    The ipaddress of my Mediation Server is 192.168.30.3

When I right-click on my Mediation Server in the OCS adminpanel I see 3 tabpages.

First the general tab :
    - Is it correct to enter the Mediation Server ipaddress in the Communications Server Listing IP address?
    -
    Is it correct to enter the Mediation Server ipaddress in the Gateway Listing IP address?

The Next Hop Connections tab :
    - As FQDN I've entered the pool1.voip.be address that I've configured on my OCSserver. Is that correct?
    - As the pstn gateway I've entered the routers interface address.

Is this configuration correct to make and recieve external calls?
    What is the next step to configure my OCSusers so they can recieve and make external calls?
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi - first of all virtualizing the Mediation server role is not a supported scenario. 

The mediation server should have 2 NIC's  (one "internal" and one "external") each with a unique IP address.  You would enter your internal IP address on the Communications server listening IP and you would enter your external IP in the Gateway listening IP address. 

The FQDN for the next hop should be the FE server or Enterprise pool if you are running an enterprise topology.

Your PSTN gateway needs to be a supported device to enable your PBX to connect to OCS.  This information can be found here.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ocs/bb735838.aspx#gateways1

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:21 PM
  • I didn't know that.
    Another thing is that we aren't using a PSTN connection. We make a SIPconnection between other devices.

Thanks for the info!
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:33 PM
  •  ShawnJL wrote:

Hi - first of all virtualizing the Mediation server role is not a supported scenario. 

The mediation server should have 2 NIC's  (one "internal" and one "external") each with a unique IP address.  You would enter your internal IP address on the Communications server listening IP and you would enter your external IP in the Gateway listening IP address. 

The FQDN for the next hop should be the FE server or Enterprise pool if you are running an enterprise topology.

Your PSTN gateway needs to be a supported device to enable your PBX to connect to OCS.  This information can be found here.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ocs/bb735838.aspx#gateways1

I hope this helps.

Since I can add nic's to my virtual machine using VMWare, I don't see the problem of that.
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:50 PM
  •  m.voet wrote:

Since I can add nic's to my virtual machine using VMWare, I don't see the problem of that.

You misunderstood that - Mediation Server (in productive environment) is not supported virtualized, since VoIP audio communication requires stable high-res timing which is not guaranteed on virtual machines.

And, by the way, despite Microsoft's recommendation you can use a single nic and IP address both listening inside and outside in small deployments.

You still need a PSTN gateway or supported IPBX; SIP-Trunking is not supported in current release.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:07 PM