New to Visual Studio 2019 and..... RRS feed

• Question

• Have Mastering Visual Studio 2019 Second Edition.

Looking for examples on how to code and us differing input.

There are NO examples just the ones MS provide and the other want $$$ to even look at. 

Would be nice (In on the Community version cant afford 700+ dollars) to view how to get input/forms/data from inside my application I'm looking at doing/coding and trying to format. Keep getting errors and NO way of checking or finding out WHY.

Tried an number of templates all keep on giving me errors.

Could someone please explain why I cannot have Grids/Forms/input/output in the same application.

Or do I have to code each one and link/compile them to form one application.

Some advice or pointers (and NOT to another Please PAY SITE. Something that gives an overview of putting it all together.

I have NOT coded for 40+ years I'm 72 ( started with MS DOS, then COBOL in Windows 3.1. on a standalone and worked for a 

Mainframe company coding) and wishing to in these times learn something New..

I don't want to go Cloud or AZURE and the other platforms, After learning V/Studio on a standalone system (Power system) I would look at moving ON.

Some response would be appreciated.

CForster

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 6:12 AM

All replies

• Hi carlsf,

I'm not sure if I can understand your request.

If you want to make an application with VB.NET using Visual Studio, you need to explain what you want.  There many articles or Q&A about your wants.
    If you just start programming or Visual Studio, I suppose, the best way is to purchase a book for learners.
    (You have a skill for making algorithm, so you need to learn how to use Visual Studio and to write VB.NET code.)
    Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 8:00 AM
  • I have tried to find books on how to code give samples BUT NO instruction on how to code. Just starting after VS2010 that was completely different....

CForster

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid your words are not clear.  I cannot understand the meaning of "how to code".
    If you want to find a specific issue, you would be able to find "how to code".

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 9:38 AM
  • Hello,

If you are having issues getting started creating new projects this is not a VB.NET issue and if so I can move your question to the Visual Studio forum.

No matter if your thread stays here or is moved, much more information is needed if anyone here is to assist.

If you are looking for code samples, Microsoft removed the community code samples site several months ago.

About 10 years ago a VB.NET video series was done which might be helpful.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/msdn10/bb466226(v=MSDN.10)

I know you said no pay sites but Pluralsight has made all content open for free for this month. I believe this is because of the current state of the world. Even so there is only really one three hour plus video training for VB.NET, a handful of others but not sure if they will help or not. See their offer here.

Then there are code samples (here is one of mine for doing master-details with SQL-Server) on Microsoft TechNet or GitHub like on this filter page.

One might ask "why are there not some really good information/code samples for VB.NET", there use to be but currently (and for several years) C# is the language of focus at Microsoft. VB.NET is not a first class language in the Microsoft ecosystem although that doesn't matter as it's a first class language to millions of developers around the world.

With that said, you will have to search around for web sites such as this one.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 10:56 AM
  • Carl,

You told you have not coded for 40+ year before and Cobol and Windows 3.1. Therefore I take that as your starting point. 

That means that you've done it without any designer or you should have used PC-Cobol. 

There are many things which will look strange to you.

1. Visual in Visual Studio and Visual Basic means really Visual. 
    2. Visual Basic means programming for programs which rely on an event that is handled and not on a process.
    3. You are managing events. 

Let us start with a simple sample where you use the good old Forms as basic. 

You start a new project in Visual Studio and select (not easy nowadays) a Visual Basic Windows Forms for .Net (not .NetCore)

Then you start a new project VB windows forms app (take care it is VB)

Then you do next. It opens and the designer pane is shown, on the left side there is standard a toolbox. From that you drag a textbox on the pane.

You do the same with a button. When it is on the pane, you double click on that button.

The code page opens with for you made a piece of code

In that code you type

Public Class Form1
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            TextBox1.Text = "I've made my first Visual Basic for .Net program"
        End Sub
    End Class
    You click on "start" or the F5 key and your first program is made and runs

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 11:09 AM
  • Its NOT so MUCH the coding its the terminology.

To understand the differences (GRID's, Forms) etc.

In Basic and COBOL you had code separated by loops the went to the next step or function.

I cannot seem to find any descriptions about HOW to to marry/connect each step/function.

EG. a link between a FORM and its data gained to an Array/Data block, then Data retrieval searched to give reports. Does each one have to be compiled then each linked to the next step. Is there any books overview of how/steps NOT just blocks of Learn code (I have and am doing them).

Maybe I'm missing the point, on linking each module to the next.  

I made WEB sites using Microsoft Expression WEB 4 that was easy to understand.

Thanks for your support and comments.

CForster

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 8:42 PM
  • Its NOT so MUCH the coding its the terminology.

To understand the differences (GRID's, Forms) etc.

In Basic and COBOL you had code separated by loops the went to the next step or function.

I cannot seem to find any descriptions about HOW to to marry/connect each step/function.

EG. a link between a FORM and its data gained to an Array/Data block, then Data retrieval searched to give reports. Does each one have to be compiled then each linked to the next step. Is there any books overview of how/steps NOT just blocks of Learn code (I have and am doing them).

Maybe I'm missing the point, on linking each module to the next.  

I made WEB sites using Microsoft Expression WEB 4 that was easy to understand.

Thanks for your support and comments.

CForster

That was what I was trying to tell. I wrote it looks strange to you.

Visual Basic is made for interactive handling. Where almost every keystroke of an enduser is controlled. 

Making a Website with Macromedia, Frontpage or its successor Expression was describing a page.

Cobol was based on processes. Describing the Identification, Environment, Data and then the processing part. 

That is a big step to current program making. 

Know that I had also have made this step and first had the same attitude as you currently seems to have. I did not even write about OOP (that is not the same as OP), Classes, Asynchronous processing, and more things which are very easy when you know it, but a big steps if you come from process programming. 

But why did you not try what I wrote, I toke some work to help you and checked if it where really the steps.

Don't be surprised that it takes 2 days before you have that simple program running while most here do it in 10 minutes. You probably will sometimes more times before you understand the language they use (although it is English that has always been in programming). My favorite computers where in past Burroughs, those who made the manuals did that in a Spanish oriented English Style, while I was completely Anglo English oriented. 

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, April 14, 2020 9:27 PM