Cannot install WHSv1 Connector on W7-64 - Troubleshooter Errors RRS feed

• Question

• This all started a couple of weeks ago: my backups on all 3 client machines (1*W7-32 & 2*W7-64) just stopped working. It turned out I had an error on a drive which Checkdisk found and fixed. After that the W7-32 and one W7-64 continued to be backed up: the other 64-bit wouldn't connect. But it turned out I couldn't open any of the backups. To make along story short, I ended up erasing all the backups, cleaned out and fixed the database and removed the 64-bit clients from the Computers list and removed the Connector software from the 64-bit clients since Discovery.exe consistently failed to connect with an "unknown network error" (I managed to get Connector installed by killing the installer after the error message).

After all that,  I can now backup my 32-bit machine and open/read its backups but I can't back up my 64-bit clients because I can't install the Connector software. It always ends with "An unknown network error has occurred".

So I ran the Connector Troubleshooter in advanced mode and found the following 3 errors:

1. [1.5] Check DHCP. This makes no sense as all machines see each other, can ping each other, can share folders, etc. DHCP is active on the Gateway, which the software recognizes as active. WHS is always found by the clients when Connector installation is attempted, and shares from WHS are working read/write with all clients.

2. [4.16] Partner manager simulator. This calls the  http://SERVER:55000/EnrollId/Id.aspx address which according to this doc is supposed to return half a page of XML. What it is in fact returning is what looks like a 1200 character sequence bounded by "---BEGIN CERTIFICATE---" and ends with '---END CERTIFICATE". I'm not sure why this is so.

3. [5.2] Check client Version. According to this the "Server Version: 6.0.2423.0" is older than the "Client Version: 6.0.3436.0" which AFAIK shouldn't be the case since my WHS is updated to the latest updates and has PP3 installed. On the WHS Version Information window I see the following:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.3436.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

I couldn't find any information on PP3 file versions and I can't find a direct download of the PP3 installer.

One last thing: if I access this xml: http://yourserver:55000/health/health.xml within the "Backup" tag I still see the two 64-bit computers listed, and there are Notifications that list that they haven't been backup up since Sept 10th. I don't know how often this xml is updated, so this could just be old info.

Thanks if anyone can help me understand and deal with these items.

• Edited by serverwanker Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:17 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:14 AM

All replies

• Does the system time, date, year, time zone match on clients and server?

If there are differences, Windows 7 can be very rejecting.

Are there any error messages/warnings in the event log of the client or the server at the time of the failing installation?

Also does the folder \\yourservername\software\Home Server Connector Software exist, can be accessed from the client and contains the recent files (WHSConnector_x64.msi on my WHS has a modification date 1/10/2011).

Which way did you try to install the connector - by using setup.exe in that share or from the WHS internal website?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Does the system time, date, year, time zone match on clients and server?

If there are differences, Windows 7 can be very rejecting.

According to the Connector Troubleshooter: Client is 00:00:01.0096744 earlier. It isn't flagged as an error by the troubleshooter.

Are there any error messages/warnings in the event log of the client or the server at the time of the failing installation?

Client Application Log (in order of appearance) ===============================

Information: The Windows Home Server Connector service started successfully.

Warning: Server ID is not set yet. On the client it means that the server discovery (discovery.exe) was not run or was not run successfully.

Information: The description for Event ID 0 from source esClient cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event: Service started

Error: Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.3436.0, but partner computer SERVER uses protocol version 6.0.2423.0. A connection cannot be established. 

The only error that occured on WHS at the same time is this one, also from its Application log: ===========

Warning: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0

Event code: 3006
    Event message: A parser error has occurred.
    Event time: 9/29/2011 9:42:39 AM
    Event time (UTC): 9/29/2011 1:42:39 PM
    Event ID: c016a07f821e42cf87d3c015952db7bf
    Event sequence: 7
    Event occurrence: 2
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/Root/Enroll-2-129617770340937500
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /Enroll
        Application Path: C:\inetpub\Enroll\
        Machine name: SERVER

Process information:
        Process ID: 4552
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
        Exception type: HttpParseException
        Exception message: Could not load the assembly 'App_Web_enroll.aspx.cdcab7d2'. Make sure that it is compiled before accessing the page.

...followed by more details...

Also does the folder \\yourservername\software\Home Server Connector Software exist, can be accessed from the client and contains the recent files (WHSConnector_x64.msi on my WHS has a modification date 1/10/2011).

Yes on all counts.

Which way did you try to install the connector - by using setup.exe in that share or from the WHS internal website?

1. From http://server:55000/

2. From sever/Software/Home Server Connector Software

3. From a copy of the above folder on the client machine

4. From the Connector install CD

Thanks for your help Olaf. It was interesting to find the same Error referencing the difference in software age. The error message states that the Connector software is "Protocol version 6.0.3436.0": if you look at my previous post you'll see that the only item in my WHS server list of the same version is Windows Home Server Remote Access. Everything else is older and the Console, Backup & Restore, and Drive Extender are all version 6.0.2423.0.

Why does this version discrepancy exist between what the client Connector software wants to see and my WHSv1?

• Edited by serverwanker Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:13 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:10 PM
  • This is the information on my server:

Windows Home Server Konsole: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Sichern und Wiederherstellen: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Laufwerkextender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remotezugriff: 6.0.3436.0
    Windows Home Server Speicher-Manager: 6.0.3039.0

Troubleshooter not necessary is showing up the most current patch level, which may lead to differences between expected and found information.

For the parser error you could try to delete the content of the folder  "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files" on the server or at least move it to a different location according to KB934839. After that reboot the server.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:12 PM