locked
Parental record reassignment not reassigning child records. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Ok, so I have a parent custom entity and a child custom entity.  I made a 1:N relationship between them, and made it parental (which has full cascading).  In my dev system, when reassigning the Parent record, the child records reassign as expected.  However, when I push to production, the child records aren't reassigning.

    I confirmed that the Parental relationship pushed to production, and I'm testing with a user that is system admin, so I know it's not permissions.

    There are no errors in the Application log, or in the CRM Process log, and tracing isn't pulling anything I can find either.

    I'm out of ideas on why this would work in the system we developed in, but not the production system.

    Any suggestions on where else I might find clues?  Anyone ever experienced this before?


    The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.

    Friday, March 2, 2012 9:43 PM

Answers

  • Hi Wayne,

    I actually had this exact same problem with one of our customers, I thought it may have been a one off, but it appears it could be a bug. 

    The workaround I used was to edit the relationship behaviour on the production (eg to referential), save the relationship, and then set it back to parental. This then reset it back to how it should have been, and assigning worked as expected. 

    Hope that helps you!

    -Paul

    • Marked as answer by Wayne Walton Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:03 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:45 AM

All replies

  • Bump for the Monday crowd.

    The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.

    Monday, March 5, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Its actually quite simple.

    The parental ownership only works if the owner on the parent record is the same as the owner on the child record.

    If they do not match the ownership will not change.

    /Rune Daub

    Senior CRM Consultant.

    www.dynateam.dk


    Rune Daub Senior Consultant - Dynateam CRM My blog: http://mscrminaction.blogspot.com/

    • Proposed as answer by RuneDaub Monday, March 5, 2012 8:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Wayne Walton Monday, March 5, 2012 9:47 PM
    Monday, March 5, 2012 8:00 PM
  • The documentation in CRM says otherwise.  Parental is supposed to reassign all, even disabled items.  Plus, I just tested it, and Parental most certainly reassigns all child items, even the ones not originally owned by the former owner of the parent.

    The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.

    Monday, March 5, 2012 9:47 PM
  • You are absolutely right. For some reason I remembered the parental having user-owned assign. 

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb955296.aspx

    The only other reason I can imagine would be a limitation in the user role. You tested it with a system administrator on the production system? Or did you test it with limited access user? F.ex. If the user has full acces on parent, but only business unit access on child entity. Then that could pose as a problem with the full cascading.


    Rune Daub Senior Consultant - Dynateam CRM My blog: http://mscrminaction.blogspot.com/

    Monday, March 5, 2012 10:28 PM
  • Yah, I thought about that too, and made sure to test with a system admin.  :/

    That said, I have read that there is a potential solution where clicking "Publish All" will fix it, like the customization got hung-up or something. I have not yet tested this, but it appears my next step.


    The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.

    Monday, March 5, 2012 10:31 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

    I actually had this exact same problem with one of our customers, I thought it may have been a one off, but it appears it could be a bug. 

    The workaround I used was to edit the relationship behaviour on the production (eg to referential), save the relationship, and then set it back to parental. This then reset it back to how it should have been, and assigning worked as expected. 

    Hope that helps you!

    -Paul

    • Marked as answer by Wayne Walton Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:03 PM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:45 AM
  • Excellent, that definitely is worth testing!  One question, that relationship is currently in a managed solution.  Will customizing that relationship directly alter the managed state of that relationship?  I'd hate to break that and have future managed pushes have issues.


    The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.

    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Hi Wayne,

    As long as you've set the customizable managed properties to true you should have no problems editing the relationship. After the change the relationship will still be managed, and any future deployments will be fine since your not actually changing the behaviour, or adding any new functionality, so they will still match the development system.

    -Paul

    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:12 PM
  • I just wanted to verify that altering the relationship behavior in production and then reloading our Solution resolved the issue.


    The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Consulting's positions, views, strategies or opinions.

    Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:04 PM