Unable to remove a client computer from Windows home server RRS feed

• Question

• I am retiring one of my desktops that is connected to my whs. When I attempt to remove the computer on the whs console through "Remove Computer" menu I get the error message:

"This computer cannot be removed because it is connected to your home server. Please uninstall the Windows Home Server Connector software from this computer and try again".

When I removed the connector software all ____ broke loose and the whs console would not start. I was able to restore everything to normal.

What is the proper procedure to remove a computer, including all back-up data (for the computer to be removed) that resides on the whs, hat is connected to a whs?

Friday, November 5, 2010 6:24 PM

Answers

• The standard method is to simply remove the connector from the client, then remove the client from the server via the Console (on another client, obviously). Variations might include shutting the client down, rather than removing the software, then removing it from the server, then finally booting it and removing the connector software.

Can you tell us more about the issues you experienced when you removed the connector?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Franz Z_ Saturday, November 6, 2010 8:23 PM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 11:42 PM

All replies

• The standard method is to simply remove the connector from the client, then remove the client from the server via the Console (on another client, obviously). Variations might include shutting the client down, rather than removing the software, then removing it from the server, then finally booting it and removing the connector software.

Can you tell us more about the issues you experienced when you removed the connector?

• Marked as answer by Franz Z_ Saturday, November 6, 2010 8:23 PM
    Friday, November 5, 2010 11:42 PM
  • Ken, your "standard" method worked. Thank you for your help!

Saturday, November 6, 2010 8:25 PM
  • What if you've already reformatted the hard drive of the client machine and forgot to remove the connector software first?
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 3:31 AM
  • "Removed", in this case, means "no longer running on the client". So you've "removed" the software. :)
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:04 PM
  • നിങ്ങളുടെ ഉത്തരത്തിനായി കാത്തിരിക്കുകയാണ്. വിളിക്കുക 877-795-6826
    Friday, January 19, 2018 7:52 PM