Not a Home Media Center? RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Once I have a Windows Home Server platform to store, distribute and backup files and media, what a killer feature it would be to make it a Home Media Center Server as well.  To use a laptop, desktop or XBox 360 as Media Center extenders using the same great menu’ing experience available from Windows Vista Ultimate.  This would allow a household to truly centralize all of their files and even control distribution since they would be streamed through what is essentially a remote desktop extender interface.

Without an interface like this, all my photos and music are locked up in a server where it becomes impractical or cumbersome to index media as a remote network resource.  What would be the point?  I would just keep my media files on my Vista Ultimate box and back them up to an external drive like I always do.

Liberate my media!  Make Windows Home Server a must have home product and make it a Media Center Server.  It seems like the only way to access the demographic that would pay for the an additional server at home.

Monday, March 12, 2007 5:33 PM

All replies

• From what I think you're saying is for additional software to be an extender for MC.

What features of MC would you like to see integrated into WHS?  I think the point of WHS much better serves the average home user (much more than external HDDs) because most of it is done automatically, and it allows them to stream media files from it, without having to "open" the file into their computer in the way you have to do with an external drive.  Also, it has much better features as far as remote access.  You can access it via a LAN, or through the internet. 
    Monday, March 12, 2007 9:36 PM
  • I guess what I am saying is that the WHS shoud BE the Media Center and host the Media Center blue menu interface. Then there should be Media Center Extender clients for Windows XP and Windows Vista as well as of course, the built in Xbox 360 client.  That would allow all the media to remain centralized on the WHS and stream to the client.  This is different from a desktop user indexing media from Windows Media Player over the network share and generating the newtork traffic to go with it.

...On a side note it would also be nice to host the http features via Windows Sharepoint Services. A much more robust interface and significant built in extensibility. 

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:49 PM