Password incorrect. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

So I changed my windows ID password since I last accessed my file (over a year ago I switched to Quicken).

I have installed sunset.

When I try and use my windows id and the current password I get the error that the password is incorrect.

I don't remember what my live id password was at the time I saved the money file.

Am I screwed?

Why wont my current password work?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:24 PM

All replies

• I have sympathy. But I am wondering, are philbill alexier headinsand piquat are the same person? Are those 4 people using Money 2007 who don't remember the LiveID used on their Money file when the last *.mny and last couple *.mbf files were saved?

If you use many multiple IDs, it is easy to lose track. Try thinking about the various ID's you have used and try all of the permutations of those with passwords to log into Money offline, or restoring a *.mbf file *not* to the default location, while disconnected from the internet.

You might want to considering calling Microsoft Support while that is a possiblity. I doubt if they will have a solution, but it seems worth a try.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Cal,

I am no other user on any forum.

I have one hotmail account from the first year of hotmail.

The problem is the file is a backup from an old machine.

I have no other money files.

When I try and restore my backup with

my id and CURRENT password I get the error.

I have heard I need the password from when the file was created... but

I think that is bull plop. 

That is my issue.

I tried microsoft and they were no help.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:34 AM
  • Sorry for the suspicion there. If "bull plop" means an untenable situation, I agree. I sympathize. I never put a Passport/LiveID on my real file. I did try it on test files. I tried reading the white paper that explains the technology, but I could not follow it. Maybe somebody knows how to make it all work for you. But that person does not seem to be posting.

At this point, you might be able to do a QIF export from Quicken, and import into Money. I think I read that quicken will do QIF export, even tho it was thought to be unavailable at some point. If that would be of interest (as the least bad alternative) we could try to figure out if/how that works. Even QIF export+import in a Microsoft Money operation is somewhat limited.

My remaining suggestion, if you wan to use Money strongly enough, is to install a non-sunset version of Money, and create a new file. For brokers who do not have web OFX files available for download,  know somebody who bought an extra Money Plus Deluxe install that is going to expire soon.  I would get all of the data online that I could. Credit card historys and bank histories are often avalable via web download. The financial institutions generally keep that info downloadable for an amount of time that varies with
    the institution.

After you have downloaded the available data, make a single compensating transaction in each account to compensate for the missing old transactions.

Or maybe you will come to like Quicken with practice.    

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:43 AM
  • I have heard I need the password from when the file was created...

That may not have been the case for Money files back when Money had authentication servers. Since those are now gone, all your file has is some form of cached credentials and most likely a password hash. If you don't use the same password you used then, and Money can't find an updated one from online, what's it going to do?
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 12:35 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

Is there a way to scan my file and find or remove the password hash?

Isn't sunset eddition supose to have servers so we can remove our microsoft passwords?

Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:06 PM