Adding 2 x 1TB internal Sata's to my HP EX485 RRS feed

• Question

• I apologize if this has been asked before, however I am new so please bear with me!. I just bought a HP EX485 and two Hitachi 1TB Sata drives. I called HP a couple of times but am getting conflicting answers. I basically want redundancy, nothing business critical - its all media - DVD's CD's etc etc. I do not want to load everything on to one drive and ultimately have the device die with no backup. Hp's answer was to keep my original CD's - No comment on that!!. I also heard if I remove the os drive from bay one and insert my new drives in bay one and two, and the os drive in bay 3 everything will be just fine (I later heard if I do this I will need to restore the os  using the restore cd and the os will migrate to my new ITB drive in bay 1. I am pulling my hair out here! I just want to make sure all the data on one 1TB disc is automatically mirrored on the other 1TB drive so if one device fails I don't lose everything. If I resposition the os drive to bay 3, do I now lose some space on bay 1 as the os is recovered there and if so what happens to the original 750 GB now in bay 3?

Sorry to be so long winded, I just want to do this correctly first time around before I start backing things up.

Thank You!!
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 11:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You really need to read the documentation particularly how your server works.
    You do not decide where your data goes, WHS does that itself. However, if you have Duplication enabled for any particular folder, then WHS ensures that one copy is on each of two physical drives. If one drive fails, WHS recognises this, and will then use the file copy on your other drive. Removing the failed drive through the WHS console and adding a new replacement drive to the Storage Pool will cause WHS to then automatically create a new 2nd copy of this file.
    WHS also tries to keep associated files together, so loading files off a DVD on the server it will try if space is available, keep them all on one drive, while the copies are on another drive.
    The thing to note, is that WHS doesn't use RAID, as far as you are concerned, all your drive space is just seen as the data drive, irrespective if you have one hard drive, or ten hard drives- there are no such things as drive letters for these Hard drives, they are just space.
    There is no advantage moving the system drive from the slot that it comes in and in fact could well create serious problems if it ever fails, as a re-install of your system will look for the first available suitable drive, which is the drive that takes up 'slot 0' on your server, which now will not be the system drive, but one of your data drives and consequently you would probably loose all your data on the server.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hi there.  You might want to read through these threads before asking questions:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/threads/

Welcome!
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 12:10 AM
  • Thank You for rsponding however I was unable to find specifics requested in my posting. I was hoping a subject matter expert could answer my questions.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

You really need to read the documentation particularly how your server works.
    You do not decide where your data goes, WHS does that itself. However, if you have Duplication enabled for any particular folder, then WHS ensures that one copy is on each of two physical drives. If one drive fails, WHS recognises this, and will then use the file copy on your other drive. Removing the failed drive through the WHS console and adding a new replacement drive to the Storage Pool will cause WHS to then automatically create a new 2nd copy of this file.
    WHS also tries to keep associated files together, so loading files off a DVD on the server it will try if space is available, keep them all on one drive, while the copies are on another drive.
    The thing to note, is that WHS doesn't use RAID, as far as you are concerned, all your drive space is just seen as the data drive, irrespective if you have one hard drive, or ten hard drives- there are no such things as drive letters for these Hard drives, they are just space.
    There is no advantage moving the system drive from the slot that it comes in and in fact could well create serious problems if it ever fails, as a re-install of your system will look for the first available suitable drive, which is the drive that takes up 'slot 0' on your server, which now will not be the system drive, but one of your data drives and consequently you would probably loose all your data on the server.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:39 PM
  • i have the ex470 whs. it does not matter which slot the hd is in. it is a dynamic file system that cat change on the fly. the only way you can get a true copy is to put a new drive and make it a backup and not part of the server drive volume. you can then copy your data to the backup drive and take it out and put it somewhere else.
    good luck

Thursday, March 5, 2009 4:47 AM