none
System space is unusually large RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of rebuilding my server storage after a OS reinstall and am having some issues with the allocation of space on some of the drives. One of the most noticeable symptoms is the size of the system portion of the pie chart under Server Storage tab. I added a WD20EVDS to the system and after transferring about 750GB it was saying that there was about 1.5TB of space used on the drive and that the system portion of the pie chart was well over 1TB. I pulled the drive out of the server and hooked up to one of my Windows 7 machines to try to figure out what the problem was. If I looked at the total of the folder sizes it was about 700GB but when looking at the properties of the drive about 1.5TB was used. The drive came back clean on the WD diagnostics program but after deleting all the data from the drive it still said over 800GB was being used. I followed the recommendation of WD tech support and rewrote the disk with zeros and then reformatted. With reinstalling the drive to the server freshly formatted the system portion is about 107GB which I assume 87GB of which are empty space on my other data drive and 20GB are the actual system drive. 

What I am trying to figure out is if I have a bad drive or if there is something major screwed up in my OS. I haven't been able to find any information anywhere on a problem like this and WD tech support seemed to think I was crazy when I told them that it seemed that 2 bites of space was taken up for every 1 bite of data placed on the drive. Any light that anyone could shed on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:25 AM

All replies

• That WHS-pie is reporting an incorrect size. It's a known thing (even by MS) The size is generally displayed as 20 GB (which is  the actual and correct size), but now and then it report an incorrect size. After eg a reboot of whs it's being reported correctly as 20 GB.
    Basicly it's just a UI thing, with no other harm/impact. So nothing to worry about.
    But don't count on a fix. And let's face it.. it's just a trivial UI issue :-)

"Mouseskowitz" wrote in message news:ede72966-4a52-4ef2-a6a8-10dd5bd2ed70@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I am in the process of rebuilding my server storage after a OS reinstall and am having some issues with the allocation of space on some of the drives. One of the most noticeable symptoms is the size of the system portion of the pie chart under Server Storage tab. I added a WD20EVDS to the system and after transferring about 750GB it was saying that there was about 1.5TB of space used on the drive and that the system portion of the pie chart was well over 1TB. I pulled the drive out of the server and hooked up to one of my Windows 7 machines to try to figure out what the problem was. If I looked at the total of the folder sizes it was about 700GB but when looking at the properties of the drive about 1.5TB was used. The drive came back clean on the WD diagnostics program but after deleting all the data from the drive it still said over 800GB was being used. I followed the recommendation of WD tech support and rewrote the disk with zeros and then reformatted. With reinstalling the drive to the server freshly formatted the system portion is about 107GB which I assume 87GB of which are empty space on my other data drive and 20GB are the actual system drive.

What I am trying to figure out is if I have a bad drive or if there is something major screwed up in my OS. I haven't been able to find any information anywhere on a problem like this and WD tech support seemed to think I was crazy when I told them that it seemed that 2 bites of space was taken up for every 1 bite of data placed on the drive. Any light that anyone could shed on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day!
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:51 PM
  • In my case I'm wondering if it is just a UI issue. That number does not get below 100GB after restart and somehow 800GB of space was taken up on my drive by nothing.
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:25 PM