onecare antivirus seems to run in a loop RRS feed

• Question

• I contacted a virus/trojan (Win32/aluenon.gen!u)  I tried a lot of other antivirus scanners and they cleaned out what they could find but it came back again. So I tried Onecare and it seems that onecare has taken care of it. However, when the onecare antivirus scanner starts it scans until it gets to 90% then it seems to run in an endless loop going back over files that it checked before. I have let it run for hours and it never stops. What can I do with it?
    One other question how do I know that the above virus/trojan is cleaned out of my computer??
    Thank You,
    Katnip
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:25 PM

Answers

• For the second part of your question, open OneCare and click on Change Settings, Logging tab, create support log. The report that opens in your browser contains history of actions taken - scroll to the Virus and Spyware section to see recent detected threats and actions taken.

For the first part, when it hits 90%, it has completed scanning. At about 90% it is taking actions on found threats. Since it appears to be rescanning, it may not be successful at removing the threat, hence the apparent hangup. I recommend contacting support for help.

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:43 PM