Does OneCare Change IE Settings? RRS feed

• Question

• In my Internet Explorer properties, I have Loose XAML disabled.  Lo and Behold earlier today (after a Tune Up) I noticed that this setting was re-enabled for the Internet Zone!!

Is this something that OneCare would do, and why?  I thought it would only change settings from less secure ones.  Again, only asking if OneCare would -- If not, I need to figure out how those settings changed (my home PC, with no other users accessing the machine).

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:52 PM

Answers

• Yes I believe that OneCare does make changes that it considers neccesary, most are non-reversible which is a pain.

Tom 

Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:42 PM
  • Yes, there's been a bunch of feedback on this. I've reported it directly to the OneCare team, too, so hopefully they will take notice.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:09 AM

All replies

• Just an FYI, this has happened several times now.  I don't believe I'm infected with anything, as the only software on this rig thus far are the OS and OneCare.  It seems to only happen to the custom settings I have for the .NET Framework group of settings under the Internet Zone.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Yes I believe that OneCare does make changes that it considers neccesary, most are non-reversible which is a pain.

Tom 

Saturday, January 26, 2008 6:42 PM
  • Wow, that's bad.  Essentially then, OneCare is making my machine LESS secure by lowering my security settings.  I hope this isn't the case.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Yes, there's been a bunch of feedback on this. I've reported it directly to the OneCare team, too, so hopefully they will take notice.

-steve

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:09 AM
  • Thanks for confirming this Stephen.  Needless to say, this kills my ability to utilize OneCare for the interim (at least until this is fixed, or a behavior that can be toggled off).

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Stephen, do you know if there's been any update to this issue?

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:34 PM
  • I believe that OneCare will no longer "lower" the security settings in IE, but it will raise them to the default, if you've lowered them yourself.

We are still seeking official feedback or documentation on exactly what OneCare changes silently. You can see what *has* been changed in the Performance Plus section of the support log - OneCare/Change Settings/Logging/Create Support Log.

-steve

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:57 AM