Slow File Transfer Speeds RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I am hopeing for some help here on very slow file transfer speeds 244K avg (1 movie 1 hour), so here is the breakdown of my setup

Windows 7 RC 7100 PC all updates installed
    Asus Striker 2 extreame MB
    Q6800 extreame
    8 G DDR3 Ram
    2 300g velocity raptors in raid 0
    10/100/1000 on board set to 1000 FD newest drivers loaded (connected with CAT6)

Belkin 1G 5 port switch lights show 1GFD for each connection

WHS power pack 3 and all updates installed
    evga 680i
    Intel Core 2 Duo E5500
    4G DDR2
    150g WD raptor for OS
    2X500g 7200.11 segate  for data drive
    onboard 10/100/1000 set to 1000 FD newest drivers loaded (connected with CAT6)

I have double and triple checked everything replaced cables tried different ports on the switch even used my linksys WRT 610 ports I have even tried my laptop with XP even though it only has a 100M ethernet card in it.

The file transfer process I use is to sut down all services not needed on the WHS server and applications this includes data duplication, and media sharing, I copy a movie file from either my windows 7 or XP laptop and get really ____ speeds of around 250k.

Anyone seen this or have sugestions I am at a total loss file transfers within WHS are fine seems to be a network issue of some sort but I can not for the life of me figure it out I have eliminated the switch even by doing a cross over and still slow speeds remain.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:21 PM

All replies

• Couple of quick questions....

are you running AV on both boxes?

were you getting the same speeds when you had Power Pack 2 running?

how are you copying the files to your WHS?

Andrew
    MVP - Windows Home Server http://usingwindowshomeserver.com
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:30 PM
  • This may or may not help your situation, but I have some recommendations (all of which helped me with my setup):

-on the WHS, make sure that the IPv6 protocol is installed... unless there was a change with PP3, I found that this was not automatically installed and had to manually install it
    -i'm not sure about your router specifically, but having a router that assigns IPv6 addresses would also be a good thing... if it doesn't support IPv6 natively, the systems you have on your network that do support IPv6 will self-assign an address (Windows 7 was designed to take advantage of IPv6 by default; XP will probably need a manual install)

I'm not positive this will fix your file transfer speeds (it's worth a try) - but it definitely helped me from a video streaming standpoint (i'm storing everything on my WHS and streaming it to a system using Win7 RC x64... the WHS is connected to a Gig-E/Wireless N D-Link DIR-655 using CAT-6 cable, and the HTPC is using a D-Link Wireless-N adapter and getting about 240Mb/s of wireless bandwidth.) My systems just seem to communicate better with each other using IPv6 vs. IPv4.

-Marshall

• Proposed as answer by Marshall Kurtz Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:43 AM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply.

AV is running on both boxes.

Yes the speeds were the same with PP2 and PP3.

I am using a simple drag and drop on the windows 7 PC I open the shared drives on the WHS server I drag and drop the files over.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:47 AM
  • THi Marshall,

Thanks for the advice I will check the IPv6 thing out this evening.

Best Wishes,

AJ
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:49 AM
  • This may or may not help your situation, but I have some recommendations (all of which helped me with my setup):

-on the WHS, make sure that the IPv6 protocol is installed... unless there was a change with PP3, I found that this was not automatically installed and had to manually install it

It shouldn't be necessary and it's definitely unsupported.

-i'm not sure about your router specifically, but having a router that assigns IPv6 addresses would also be a good thing... if it doesn't support IPv6 natively, the systems you have on your network that do support IPv6 will self-assign an address (Windows 7 was designed to take advantage of IPv6 by default; XP will probably need a manual install)

I'm not positive this will fix your file transfer speeds (it's worth a try) - but it definitely helped me from a video streaming standpoint (i'm storing everything on my WHS and streaming it to a system using Win7 RC x64... the WHS is connected to a Gig-E/Wireless N D-Link DIR-655 using CAT-6 cable, and the HTPC is using a D-Link Wireless-N adapter and getting about 240Mb/s of wireless bandwidth.) My systems just seem to communicate better with each other using IPv6 vs. IPv4.

-Marshall

Friday, July 31, 2009 4:27 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I am hopeing for some help here on very slow file transfer speeds 244K avg (1 movie 1 hour), so here is the breakdown of my setup

Windows 7 RC 7100 PC all updates installed
    Asus Striker 2 extreame MB
    Q6800 extreame
    8 G DDR3 Ram
    2 300g velocity raptors in raid 0
    10/100/1000 on board set to 1000 FD newest drivers loaded (connected with CAT6)

Belkin 1G 5 port switch lights show 1GFD for each connection

WHS power pack 3 and all updates installed
    evga 680i
    Intel Core 2 Duo E5500
    4G DDR2
    150g WD raptor for OS
    2X500g 7200.11 segate  for data drive
    onboard 10/100/1000 set to 1000 FD newest drivers loaded (connected with CAT6)

I have double and triple checked everything replaced cables tried different ports on the switch even used my linksys WRT 610 ports I have even tried my laptop with XP even though it only has a 100M ethernet card in it.

Did you try updating/replacing your NIC drivers?  Do you have another client you can test from?  Has it always been like this or did this just start recently?

The file transfer process I use is to sut down all services not needed on the WHS server and applications this includes data duplication, and media sharing, I copy a movie file from either my windows 7 or XP laptop and get really ____ speeds of around 250k.

Anyone seen this or have sugestions I am at a total loss file transfers within WHS are fine seems to be a network issue of some sort but I can not for the life of me figure it out I have eliminated the switch even by doing a cross over and still slow speeds remain.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Friday, July 31, 2009 4:30 AM
  • Hi Marshall,

The IPv6 thing worked great for me I went from 244K to 75M transfers thanks for the help and advice it really did work, One thing I havent tried is to remove IPV6 from all machines to see if its a capatability issue what I found is that my XP and vista PC had IPV6 on but my WHS did not. I enabled it on WHS and bang speeds shot right up. So next step is to remove IPV6 from all PCs and see if I get the sme result that will prove there is a conflict with IPV6 being installed on some PC's and not your WHS server.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:38 AM
  • you might want to check on this

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7network/thread/ee5f8de2-3e10-439c-b138-1ebe053dbba6

at first i am trying to stream video from my PC pc to my win7 PC using MPC-HC. SD video went fine but HD video sucking 2-3MB/s will lag off. so i go troubleshoot and found out increasing MTU will help (so i tune the MTU to the MAX for all machines). but after a few days while i try transferring stuff and try to do CRC using QuickSFV i found that copying files from XP to win7 was slower but still "ok" but when i try to access files in win7 from my XP machine, the speed was like 0.5MB/s. so i go ahead and tone down my MTU again to 1500bytes. and all files transfer went back to 40-50MB/s (but video streaming got lagging again). So i think there must be a bug in some network layer between winxp and win7 so i play around with configures that i can reach.

Finally i found the perfect balance which is a bit weird.

For windows 7 64bit, all MTU is set to 4kb
    For windows XP 32bit, all MTU is set to maximum (9kb)

then everything worked fine. :)

I also found out that the problem has nothing to do with offloading.

Note: also thanks to a cheap d-link gigabit switch that actually see "a blink with every packet transferring" so i was able to light the blub and point the fingers to MTU.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:25 PM