CRM 2011: Views within outlook are not loading "CRM failed to load" RRS feed

• Question

• Wondering if anyone has seen this issue. I'm using Outlook 2010 connected to a CRM 2011 Online org. When ever I go to a view from within Outlook I'm getting a "CRM Failed to Load" error. This happens to all views. Account, Contact, Solutions and Custom Entity views.

I have tried several things already and still no luck. I have the URL added to my trusted sites, reinstalled Office and CRM Client, Repairs Live Essentials and nothing noticeable in the trace files. Any ideas would be great.

Friday, March 4, 2011 3:33 PM

Answers

• A few other things to check that help solve this issue for a different customer.

Check if you have a custom security role and check these 2 privileges under the core records tab of that role:

UserEntityInstanceData
    UserEntityUISettings

Make sure you have those 2 privileges at least user level access and you should be able to see data in the outlook grid.

Also check outlook.exe ( generally it is located in system drive | program files | Microsoft office | <office 12 or 14> | outlook.exe) and check the compatibility tab and make sure the check box is not checked.

Corey Hanson, Dynamics CRM Supportability PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 16, 2011 5:25 PM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 9:12 PM

All replies

• I narrowed it down to being a problem with the Outlook native Grid in CRM 2011. Areas like Duplicate Detection, Dashboard, and articles are working fine since its loading the CRM HTML Grid and not the Outlook native grids.

Friday, March 4, 2011 3:56 PM
  • I have the same problem and have been working the MS support for over 3 weeks now.   I can use the CRM 2011 Outlook connector on my laptop, but on my desktop I cannot get the plugin to load into Outlook.  No solution as of today.  Will update once I find it.

Thanks... Rick
    Friday, March 18, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Thats Rick I'm still getting this issue so I'd love to here the solution when you find one.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:01 PM
  • We are having the same issue. On premise version of CRM 2011. Clients are Windows 7 with Outlook 2007 and 2010. Looking for some solution.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:28 PM
  • I ended up reformatting my laptop since I needed a new hard drive anyway and the problem does not exist anymore. This is not a solution. Its seems to be something machine related. Something must have been corrupted, I just don't know what or how.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Same problem here. 

Office 2010 32bit (for de CRM4 plugin earlyer)

CRM on premise and online fail to display in outlook.

Does anyone know if earlyer versions of the plugin work?

thx

Nico.

Monday, April 18, 2011 8:49 AM
  • The case that Rick had it ended up being an issue with Chrome.  Here are the steps that where used to resolve the issue.

1. Uninstall Google Chrome from "Uninstall or change a program"
    2. Follow the link below that will remove the remnants of Google Chrome from the previous Uninstall
    http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=111899
    3. Uninstall Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client  for Outlook
    4. Uninstall Office 2010
    5. Reboot
    6. Install Office 2010
    7. Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client  for Outlook
    8. Configure Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client  for Outlook

I was not able to repro this issue on my client after installing Chrome, so this may not be the resolution for you Nico or Phil, but you can check.  If you are still having the issue you may want to log a support case so they can take a look at your platform traces.

Thanks
    Corey

Corey Hanson, Dynamics CRM Support
    • Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 16, 2011 5:24 PM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:12 PM
  • That;s not a solution.  That's a hack job. 

I am not going to tell a client to uninstall their whole computer to get Outlook to load properly.  I have uncovered that this also is impacting a system with Google Chome installed.  Does this have to do with default browser settings?  Any other ideas other than this?

Even if not the default browser, there are still problems with Outlook.

• Edited by Mike Olsson Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:38 PM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Mike - I do agree with you that this is not the answer that is why I didn't propose it as an answer.  I was just posting what the resolution was in Ricks case, since I found his case was closed.  I was curious to see if in the other cases Chrome was also installed or not, since I was not able to repro with it installed.  I'm researching this more with other resources to see what other steps can resolve this issue versus having to uninstall.

I did find one other case that looks similar to this issue and the resolution was to use the diagnostics tool on the Outlook Client to delete Temporary Microsoft Dynamics CRM Client Files and enable the Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook Add-In.

If you have platform traces from the server and client while reproing the issue, can you share them with me or open a support case and include the traces? 

If you open a case please let me know the case number.

email - chanson at microsoft.com

Thanks
    Corey

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Hi Corey,

Thanks for the post. I can comfirm that Chrome was installed on my system when I had this issue. But after I reinstalled my OS on a new harddrive for other reasons this problem when away. I do have Chrome install now but CRM is working fine. So this may have to do with an order of installation or perhaps something in the CRM Outlook Sevice Pack fixed it.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Are you using Citrix? I uninstalled Citrix client for some other reason and now Outlook crm plugin started to work. At least my issue seem to be something to do with citrix sso and live-id sso authetication conflicting each other or vice versa.

_Mika

Monday, May 9, 2011 12:18 PM
  • A few other things to check that help solve this issue for a different customer.

Check if you have a custom security role and check these 2 privileges under the core records tab of that role:

UserEntityInstanceData
    UserEntityUISettings

Make sure you have those 2 privileges at least user level access and you should be able to see data in the outlook grid.

Also check outlook.exe ( generally it is located in system drive | program files | Microsoft office | <office 12 or 14> | outlook.exe) and check the compatibility tab and make sure the check box is not checked.

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 16, 2011 5:25 PM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 9:12 PM
  • I also have the same problem and i've checked the security roles and compatability tab as suggested.  I do not have Chrome installed either on this machine (I have IE9).  I've tried uninstalling CRM Outlook client completely and office 2010 as well.

I've enabled tracing but it doesn't look like this "CRM Failed to load" error message is generating anything in Trace logs.  I do however see this in the event log of the client machine. 

Is there anything else I can check?

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Windows Error Reporting
    Date:          5/17/2011 3:24:46 PM
    Event ID:      1001
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      UAT-Win7.AvaCRM-UAT.org
    Description:
    Fault bucket 1905955168, type 5
    Event Name: CRMmanaged
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: 5.0.9688.1045
    P2: OUTLOOK
    P3: Microsoft.Crm
    P4: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.;Hash='-1461558316'
    P5:
    P6:
    P7:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\crmadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp74E.tmp

These files may be available here:
    C:\Users\crmadmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\NonCritical_5.0.9688.1045_867b446e199562269e804a786e21de72d3c785c_045b26a6

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: 4ef67cb0-80bb-11e0-99eb-00155d1673e7
    Report Status: 0
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-05-17T19:24:46.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>21588</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>UAT-Win7.AvaCRM-UAT.org</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>1905955168</Data>
        <Data>5</Data>
        <Data>CRMmanaged</Data>
        <Data>Not available</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>5.0.9688.1045</Data>
        <Data>OUTLOOK</Data>
        <Data>Microsoft.Crm</Data>
        <Data>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.;Hash='-1461558316'</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
    C:\Users\crmadmin\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp74E.tmp</Data>
        <Data>C:\Users\crmadmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\NonCritical_5.0.9688.1045_867b446e199562269e804a786e21de72d3c785c_045b26a6</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>4ef67cb0-80bb-11e0-99eb-00155d1673e7</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:25 PM
  • I had the same problem, but it was just the accounts view that "CRM failed to load". I fixed this by installing the latest rollup 5 patch. CRM2011-Client-KB2567454-ENU-i386.exe

Regards,

Paul Doerr

KMS Software

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:45 PM
  • I have the same problem but with a custom entity I just created. The rest are working fine.

I search the internet and found that some complain about permissions (I`m a sys admin. no problem there), some said that it`s a problem with google chrome. I uninstalled it (I don`t use it anyway) and still the same.

(my config: crm 2011 with rollup 5, win 7 64 bit, outlook 2010)

What is the problem??

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 9:29 AM
  • I am really frustrated did a ton of testing for the CRM 2011 upgrade because we have a big environment and the stupid outlook client wont open Accounts and Contacts.  CRM failed to load.  None of the suggestions here work and I am on rollup 6.  

I just tried rollup 7 doesnt fix crap.  I uninstalled Chrome didnt fix crap.  It has something to do with the accounts default views or something. 

Looks like I have to open a case.  I even tried setting different views as the default view nothing is working.  

How is every single person in my environment experiencing this and only two google searches reference it. 

• Edited by pslager Monday, April 23, 2012 2:52 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 2:01 PM
  • I have exactly identical symptoms: "Accounts" in CRM plug-in form Outlook crash, all other stuff in Outlook works! Latest rollup did not help.

For a moment as a workaround I created a dashboard with only 1 item - Accounts grid, and to look at account in Outlook I navigate to CRM > Workplace > My work > Dashboards and select the created dashboard.

Monday, May 21, 2012 11:40 AM
  • I opened a ticket with Microsoft we have been working on it for a week.  I will let you know what the results are. 
    Monday, May 21, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Hi, I dont know whether my solution will resolve your issue. I had the same problem with one of our client who is running outlook 2007 with MS CRM 2011 online. Today she got the problem "CRM failed to load".

When I checked the Outlook plugin was disabled. After enabling the plugin, it started working fine. I enabled the Add-In using the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Diagnostics tool.

Ravikumar

Monday, May 28, 2012 6:43 AM
  • It is caused by customized views... changed default view, which brought me this failure in 2 Entities, have to check now which modification exactly throws this failure.
    Monday, July 23, 2012 9:08 AM
  • Add me to the list.  Only 1 staff member, the CEO, running Windows 7, OL2010 32-bit.  

Trust us to have this happen to the wrong person!  

Has anyone had any luck pinpointing this issue?  We're on UR 14.  Customer is not running Chrome.

Jason.

Consultant | Nerd | Visionary. http://www.ethertech.com.au/ | http://www.deeperstates.com.au

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:57 AM
  • Hi Corey,

For what it is worth I will explain that which worked for me.  We have a W2K3 terminal server where one user was experiencing the CRM failed to load problem.  I tried running the CRM config wiz to no avail.  The CRM diagnostics would not run so no luck there.  I ended up deleting the user's running profile and logged back on (and their profile was restored from the profiles store as usual since they have roaming profiles, ran the CRM config wiz once more and all is fine.  I am guessing that something deep in the Application Data or Local Settings folder somewhere - something that doesn't survive the transfer when a roaming profile gets saved - was messed up.

Thanks for your help this past summer with our CRM upgrade from CRM 4/Exchange 2003 to CRM 2011/Exchange 2013.  One day I will call back and we can complete the Internet Facing Deployment.

Paul

Friday, October 18, 2013 5:01 AM