crm move issues RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

our team moved crm to a new server this week.

so far, i've noticed a few things:

- some user names changed
    - mail merge documents are no longer available in the old or new system - error message is "no entity" when you attempt to change the view to see templates
    - primary business unit name changed

Any ideas on -
    - what we should have done differently (I was not involved in the process, but I wonder if it's worth re-doing this move to get it right)
    - how we can fix these items?  #1 is not a big deal as it appears to affect only a few users, but #2 in particular is a problem - at this point, I can't do anything with mail merges and we need this functionality for billing

Many thanks!
    gg
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:50 PM

Answers

• As you probably guessed, the issues you are seeing indicate that the CRM server was not re-deployed correctly.  It will be important that the steps in this KB article are followed closely.  Otherwise you could end up with an unsupported environment, have issues that you later discover and are difficult to resolve or other challenges. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by kgorczewski Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by geeky girly Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:20 PM

All replies

• As you probably guessed, the issues you are seeing indicate that the CRM server was not re-deployed correctly.  It will be important that the steps in this KB article are followed closely.  Otherwise you could end up with an unsupported environment, have issues that you later discover and are difficult to resolve or other challenges. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by kgorczewski Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by geeky girly Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:12 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:20 PM
  • I agree with Donna,
    mail merge should be working after correctly done migration.
    If you moved CRM into same domain it shouldn't change anything. If you redeploying to new AD domain username's can change it because MS CRM taking user name from AD.

Check installation log because during redeployment all changes are saved in the log file which you can find in c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\Microsoft\MSCRM\logs
    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 9:16 PM
  • Thanks Donna and kgorczewski.  I think you are both right.

I will mark this as the answer, but one followup question first:

After talking with our team, it sounds like they attempted to restore the config database rather than import the organization.  Both servers originally had the same org name.  When things didn't work correctly, they renamed the organization and manually updated SQL tables to point the users to the 'correct' organization.  (Again, I wasn't there and am not clear on the details.)

It seems though, that it might be possible to keep the new install (org:CRMnew), delete the new organization (org:CRMnew), and import the original organization (CRMoriginal).

Do you think this will work, or do we need to start with a fresh install of CRM?

Thanks--
    s.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:34 PM
  • If it were me, I would wipe the server and start over just to ensure SQL is setup correctly.  I don't think it will take that much more time and in the end, you should have a working and supported system.  Not knowing the exact details makes it challenging for me to recommend a different approach and I prefer to minimize risk in these types of scenarios.  I think it is worth the small amount of extra effort and time.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:44 PM
  • After talking with our team, it sounds like they attempted to restore the config database rather than import the organization.  Both servers originally had the same org name.  When things didn't work correctly, they renamed the organization and manually updated SQL tables to point the users to the 'correct' organization.  (Again, I wasn't there and am not clear on the details.)

Here you have a reason of your problems. Every direct modification in ConfDB or OrgDB it's not supported. If you will need check something in DB I recommend to use CRM Webservice to do this. In your case I not see any point to do a dirent Database mapping because you will not need Configuration DB. When you will import Organization and start mapping users with your new Active Directory installator will populate rigth data to ConfDB.

In you situation I suggest to import organization once again but first restore original ConfDB (hopefully you made a backup before manual modifications).

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Thanks, I think we'll start with a fresh install to be sure.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:13 PM
  • You're welcome.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:17 PM