Confused about reporting services connector RRS feed

• Question

• I'm installing MSCRM, SQL2k8, and SQLRS on a single box.  Do I need the reporting services connector?  I get an error when I try to do reporting, but when I try to install the connector it seems to suggest I shouldn't use it if everything is on the same box.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:19 PM

Answers

• Turned out I did need it since I'm using IFD.  I didn't notice the problem because *I* was accessing it locally but another user wasn't.
    • Marked as answer by djMaxM Friday, May 8, 2009 6:17 PM
    Friday, May 8, 2009 6:17 PM

All replies

• I would contend that you do not need it. In fact, I have this scenario too and it does work without the connector.

I believe that the CRM Implementation Guide says this.

What errors are you getting?

Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:39 PM
  • the connector only is required for disparret installtions where SQL and SSRS in loaded on seperate machines.
    Tiaan van Niekerk http://crmdelacreme.blogspot.com Skype:tiaan.van.niekerk1
    Friday, May 8, 2009 3:34 AM
  • hi I am a fresher to this technology I too have a single server deployment wat i think is reporting service connector acts as a mediator between mscrm server and SSRS. so it is reqired when mscrm server and SSRS are on two differenr machines.. Please correct me if this logic is not proper.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 8:51 AM
  • I would say that you do not have to install the reporting services connector in any situation (apart from an Internet Facing Deploymenyt). However, if you don't install it then you have to configure Trust For delegation manually.  Personally, if CRM and Reporting Services are on different servers then I would install the connector otherwise I don't.

The implementation guide says this:

The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services is required if the following two conditions are true:

·         You do not want to manually configure Trust for Delegation.

This configuration is necessary to allow the double-hop Kerberos authentication requirement when you install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services on a computer that is not the Microsoft Dynamics CRM server or SQL Server.

·         You deploy Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Internet access (IFD).

To enable reporting through an Internet connection, you must install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services.

Important   

·         The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services should not be installed on an instance of Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services that is running under the same account as a Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server component. This configuration can make the system vulnerable to certain attacks. During installation, Setup detects this scenario, and you can click Help for information about how to work around the issue,

·         The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services does not work correctly when installed on an instance of SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition. Some features, such as report scheduling do not work.

If you do not install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services, Microsoft Dynamics CRM reports will function with behavior and functionality seen in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0. However, the following limitations exist.

·         The ability to schedule reports by using the Report Scheduling Wizard is not available.

·         Note that when you install the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services you have the option of installing the component on a different server that is running SQL Server Reporting Services. Therefore, by isolating the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services on a separate instance of SQL Server, which does not store the Microsoft Dynamics CRM databases, report performance may be improved.

Friday, May 8, 2009 9:57 AM
  • I'm accessing this in a colo center, I assume that means I've got an IFD?
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:59 PM
  • Turned out I did need it since I'm using IFD.  I didn't notice the problem because *I* was accessing it locally but another user wasn't.
    • Marked as answer by djMaxM Friday, May 8, 2009 6:17 PM
    Friday, May 8, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Hi Feridun,

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-HK/crmdeployment/thread/ec025168-9844-4ac4-b62e-3021d5ee54e7?prof=required

Viewing the document: rssetuptfd_v2.docx (available for download from above website), I noticed I am using -

Configuration 4: Separate Servers (Reporting Services, Microsoft SQL Server, and Microsoft Dynamics CRM on separate servers). For Data Source I enabled - Prompted Credentials, Use as Windows credentials when connecting to the data source.

When users run SQL Report from SSRS report manager, they are prompted to enter username and password for every report. They are only able to view the data or info from the CRM Business Unit that they belong to in CRM, so crm security is working ok for SQL Reports (SQL reports - inhouse custom developed SQL reports - not CRM reports). Although it works as expected, I would like to implement Windows Authentication since it would allow users to run SQL reports without having to enter their domain logon credentials every time. I know kerberos might be the fix as your document (rssetuptfd_v2.docx) explains, but has anyone successfully implemented it with Configuration 4: Separate Servers.

Monday, May 30, 2011 8:40 PM