Vista not activating on brand new HP dx2390 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have several HP dx2390 PCs that have a problem of initial Windows Vista activation.

These PCs, from the manufacturer, come by default with a recovery image of Windows XP Pro but also with restore and operating system discs for Windows Vista. Furthermore, the CoA sticker on the PC actually says Windows Vista Business.

However upon running the restore and O/S for Windows Vista, Windows complains that "the product key you have entered will not work with this edition of Windows Vista. You must either run Windows Vista setup or enter a Windows Vista Business product key".

Regardless of whether the PC is connected to the internet or not, it will not accept the license on the CoA sticker.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks,
    Gopal

Friday, March 6, 2009 12:30 PM

Answers

• Hello thkgop001,

It would appear the OEM either put the wrong COA sticker on the computer or shipped the incorrect recovery media. Either way, my only suggestion is to contact HP for either the correct COA stickers or restore media.

In addition, computers, built by large manufactures (such as HP), that come with Vista Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

1) OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Vista, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you do not need to do an Initial Activation of the computer, after you bring it home)

2) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key must be manually activated, but you must Activate by Phone.

As you can see, your computer's would have been already activated, when you got them from HP.  Also, I have never heard of HP providing both the Vista and the XP restore media with a computer that comes with Vista pre-installed. 

Thank you,
    Darin MS 
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Friday, March 6, 2009 8:48 PM