MS CRM 4.0 - Workflow when Note Created to Be Sent to Related Owner Not Working RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have created a new workflow to run a new Note is added to CRM.  I would like an e-mail to be sent to the owner of the related record.  For instance, if a note is added to a Contact, I want the owner of the Contact to be notified.

What is happening, though, is the workflow is erroring out when I use the {Owner(Regarding(Contact))} dynamic field in the e-mail.  Workflow says there is an error and to contact administrator.  When I don't use the "Regarding" fields, it works fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Friday, July 11, 2008 1:23 PM

Answers

• here's the problem I see--notes can be added to any type of record, not just contacts.  If you have a step to send an email to the regarding contact's owner whenever a note is created, and a note is not created against a contact, that will probably cause a problem. 

What would probably make this work is if you had a field on the note that stored the regardingobject type that you could put in condition if regardingobjecttypecode = contact, then send an email to the contact owner.  Not sure if that is possible with standard workflow.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:56 AM

All replies

• here's the problem I see--notes can be added to any type of record, not just contacts.  If you have a step to send an email to the regarding contact's owner whenever a note is created, and a note is not created against a contact, that will probably cause a problem. 

What would probably make this work is if you had a field on the note that stored the regardingobject type that you could put in condition if regardingobjecttypecode = contact, then send an email to the contact owner.  Not sure if that is possible with standard workflow.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:56 AM
  • Unfortunately, I think the only way to implement a "catch all" solution for Notes (annotations) is to create a plug-in. This will allow you to get the objectid of the related record and then the owner of that record, regardless of the object type. You could also send the contents of the note, details about attachments, etc. via the plug-in.

If it's not required to send e-mails as soon as notes get saved to a record then you might consider creating an SQL Reporting Services report that runs every hour or so. This would have the advantage of being able to get a distinct list of records that have updated notes -- so that record owners don't receive multiple e-mails for updates to the same record. That might get annoying.  :-)

-Tim

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:51 AM
  •  

I want to setup a SQL report that captures all the notes created in a set time frame.  I started using the report wizard in CRM but found that there does not appear to be a way to display the record that the note is attached to.  So I can easily create a report of notes, who created them when, who they are assigned to , etc. but there is not way to reference them to the entitiy that the note was created for.  Did I miss something, or do I need to use VS to create the report I am looking for?

If you could point me in the direction of any reports that are similar, that I could use for reference, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:20 PM
  • You can do it with a view or report wizard report and show fields from related entities, such as account and contact; however, as you find, If you say add the company name from regarding account and you have notes associated with contacts or one of the other many entities that can be associated with notes, those columns would be blank

You really want to use a basic SRS report in Visual Studio or Business Intelligence Design Studio;.

Query from FilteredAnnotations and be sure to include the objecttypecodename.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:07 PM