Windows 10 foreign currency in Microsoft Money RRS feed

• Question

• I use Microsoft Money 2007. I have an account in Costa Rican colones (foreign currency). All my accounts in US Dollars show 2 decimals. The one in colones shows no decimals at all.

I experimented with Regional Settings in Windows 10 and learned that having my "Format" changed to "Spanish (Costa Rica)" I could add 2 decimals to the Currency format and it will be properly reflected into Microsoft Money. At the same time, dates and other number formats are affected (you end up having things like "Date: viernes 28 de agosto de 2015").

I chose to revert my Format option to "English (United States)". As soon as I do that, Microsoft Money removes the decimals from the account in Costa Rican colones. The changes I made before got discarded once the Format changed back to US.

I guess Windows 10 stores number formats and currencies and pulls them up to use when changing "Format" in the Regional Settings. These formats are preserved intact once you stop using them as your main Format. I tried looking for such detail through numerous searches but nothing came back

Does anyone has an idea where to dig into Windows 10 to update the Formats of other regions while they are not the active ones?

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 6:24 AM

All replies

• This appears to tell how to do what you are asking for: http://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/customize-currency-format-on-windows-10.html

There may be an alternative way to handle this. In Money Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings->UpdateCurrencies, you could rename a currency you will never use that has 2 or more decimal places.  Maybe call it colon2 or whatever. Then you could set the exchange rate. I have actually not worked with different currencies, and it has been a long time since I experimented.

Of course you will want to keep extra backups, since a restore is the way you can undo changes. While you are thinking of backups, this might be a good time to review your backup strategy. By default, Money keeps the most recent 4 upon-exit backups, but that could be increased. Some change that to 1, and that is not a good idea.

Money also provides the setting for the scheduled backups. I like to send my scheduled backups to a flash drive in case my hard drive crashes. Occasionally I copy my latest backups  and more to OneDrive using a batch file. That would survive something more catastrophic than a hard drive crash. 

Thursday, September 3, 2015 4:26 PM