none
WHS Console keeps freezing - PAINFULLY slow

Question

• Hi!

I have an HP MediaSmart EX-475.  Recently (most likely since an update that includes McAfee and PVConnect were installed), the Windows Home Server console has become almost unusable.  When I select any button, it basically freezes up (Not Responding) for a good 3-4 minutes before it will actually recognize the click.

So, I hit a button and then wait (doing other tasks) until the console responds and then I hit another button, wait 5 minutes etc.  It has suddenly become unusable.  Anuy ideas?

I'm running Vista Home Premium and have a pretty fast core 2 duo computer.

rajivvaidy at gmail dot com

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:51 PM

Answers

• Uninstall PVconnect and you will see things working better.  I had the same problem.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:46 PM
  • You can right click the program on your desktop and select "unblock". That should take care of it.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:47 PM

All replies

• You should also install Power Pack 1, available from the Microsoft Download Center.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:23 AM
  • I installed PP1 on Tuesday and I'm experiencing the same problem; I never had this problem before. After the PP1 installation, I received and installed the HP update as well.  I have not yet installed the antivirus software that came with it.  When I tried to access the webshare tonight (for the first time since the updates), I received the error: WHS Server Error in '/Home' Application (along with a lot of other stuff). I restarted the server and now the webshare works. The webshare and server (when accessed through RDP) have been painfully slow too since the updates.  Task Manager is not showing any process pegging the processor; the server seems pretty bored. Even trying to open the WHS console from the server (through RDP) is slow so it's not my workstation or home network. I don't see any problems logged in the Windows logs (app, server, security). I should also mention that I'm running WHS on the HP MediaSmart Server EX470 with 4 internal drives. My workstation is running Vista Premium.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:49 AM
  • I heard someone mention here that PP1 should be installed BEFORE these HP add-ins.  Is that true or can I just try and install PP1 now (after having installed PVConnect & McAfee?

Also do any of you know if PP1 solves the "unhealthy disk" errors that I have been getting for so long?
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:52 AM
  • rvaidyan,

I can't speak to the order of installation, but I installed PP1 first and then the HP update showed up automatically so that's when I installed it.

As for the "unhealthy disk" errors, it's too early to tell for me, but I haven't gotten any yet.  Pre-PP1 and HP update, I was receiving the same error about once a month. I guess time will tell.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:59 AM
  • Ken:

I tried to install PP1.  I follow the instructions exactly.  But when I remote-desktop into the home server and double click on the file in the "Software" folder, it gives me an error message that says:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

What does this mean?  I am logged into my Vista desktop as admin and into the WHS as an admin.  Why won't it let me launch the downloaded .exe file?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:48 AM
  •  rvaidyan wrote:
    Ken:

I tried to install PP1.  I follow the instructions exactly.  But when I remote-desktop into the home server and double click on the file in the "Software" folder, it gives me an error message that says:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

What does this mean?  I am logged into my Vista desktop as admin and into the WHS as an admin.  Why won't it let me launch the downloaded .exe file?

Just copy it to the server desktop and run it from there.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:49 AM
  • I just tried that too - same error message.  I even downloaded the file again to make sure it wasn't corrupted.  I then ran the .exe on my home computer (just to see if it even starts up) and it opened fine.

But on the home server, it says I don't have permission or it can't find the file.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:09 PM
  • Uninstall PVconnect and you will see things working better.  I had the same problem.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:46 PM
  • You can right click the program on your desktop and select "unblock". That should take care of it.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Yes, this worked for the PP1 install.  Thank you.

Also, uninstalling PVConnect solved the slow WHS problem.  Is this a known issue?  Are they going to be issuing a fix?  Or is this an isolated problem on some unique configurations?

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:06 PM
  • I'd say that it's a "known issue" in the sense that the HP MediaSmart Server is marginal on memory as it comes from the factory. 512 MB (Microsoft's recommended minimum) is enough to run WHS, but not really a lot else. Add a ton of stuff onto it, especially a few database-based add-ins (PVConnect uses a database of some sort, the iTunes streaming server uses a different one, and WebShare uses yet a third) and you reach a point where it's paging all the time.

Unfortunately the only way to do something about it is to void your warranty and change out the memory.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 7:34 PM
  • I have the HP EX-470 and experienced the exact same problems after the PP1 and HP updates. 

Un-installed the McAfee and PVConnect Add-ins (and moved the msi files out of the add-in folder) and NO MORE PROBLEMS.

Question is  - Does WHS need Total Protection from McAfee, or is the trial just another way for Mc and HP to enrich themselves?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:22 PM
  • I guess the requirement for protection on your server is entirely dependant on you and your method of operation!

If you have all the Clients locked down, don't allow any other user access, nor use any form of Remote Access, then there could well be a case for not having any protection installed.

Otherwise, I reckon anything that has a connection to the Internet, deserves it's own protection.

Colin

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:28 PM
  • Not trying to be argumentative, but if it was/is a good idea - why wasn't the protection offered/included with the original version?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:07 PM
  • If you mean why didn't Microsoft include it, then I would guess that doing so would have stepped on far too many toes. Both their Suppliers like McAfee Symantec Avast etc would have been up in arms, plus they would leave themselves wide open again to trying to stifle competitors.

If you mean HP, then I don't see how they could have done, as it hadn't been developed then!

Colin  

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Point taken.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:26 PM
  •  DufftheGLC wrote:
    Question is  - Does WHS need Total Protection from McAfee, or is the trial just another way for Mc and HP to enrich themselves?
    I guess it's time for "Why I think your server needs AV protection" again. Smile

A computer used in isolation and never connected to a network of any sort is relatively secure. Even if it gets infected with a virus, probably it won't spread the infection. However, networked computers are exposed to many more threat vectors, and many more "zero day" exploits.

In the context of Windows Home Server, I'm not concerned with the possibility that one of my home computers could become infected by some malware that would spread to the server. It's possible, I suppose, but pretty unlikely. All my home computers are behind a good firewall on my router, protected by NAT, and everything is running individual firewall and malware protection. An infection from one of my home computers to my server is thus unlikely.

However, I don't have the same confidence with regards to guests who bring their own computers into my house. I don't know if they have malware protection, I don't know if they update it, and I don't know if they run regular scans. As I see it, I have a couple of choices. First, I can refuse to allow guests to use their computers in my house. Or I can require them to let me run a malware scan before I permit them to connect to my network. Or, I can do neither, and include malware protection on my server. The third option is the least invasive and insulting to my guests.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 7:37 PM
  • I had the same problem.  I uninstall PVConnect and everything returned to normal.  (I know it is now three months later but I am posting my solution to help those who are currently having this problem and found this page via a search.)
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 11:33 PM
  • I have not uninstalled the PVConnect, but simply clicked Stop Sharing while on PVConnect page in WHS console. It disabled PVConnect and made WHS run faster.
    • Proposed as answer by digimonx Sunday, February 01, 2009 7:23 AM
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 7:20 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  When I open the control panel, it freezes up for about 10-15 seconds.  Then if I attempt to go to another tab, it freezes again.  I tried disabling PV Connect and the problem went away.

What will I lose by disabling or uninstalling PV Connect?

SilkRod
    • Proposed as answer by J Joslyn Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:35 PM
    Monday, February 02, 2009 4:24 AM
  • That uninstalling PV Connect speeds up WHS is still helping folks.  So frustrated with WHS speed, I found all this via search.  Uninstalled PV Connect with dramatice improvement.  Left MacAfee in place given advice above.  Things seem to be fine.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:45 PM
  • My Home Server has always been slow and hard to use. The PC Connect made things worse. I did upgrade the RAM to 1 GIG but that didn't help. I wish I would have NEVER bought this HP Windows Home Server. It's close to useless and I suggest that no one should consider buying one of these for their home network.

I could have used the time I've wasted over the past 6 months on this piece of junk to take a second job and have no problem paying for a real home server. I'm technical and know what I'm doing but nothing seems to help this piece of junk.

Regrets for trying it out. The entire time I've been writting this the sceen of the server console has been frozen attempting to login. What a joke. Do not buy one unless you want to waste a bunch of time.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:38 AM
  • @rdctaylor - Sorry to hear of your frustration with WHS.  Although WHS Console is slow on my HP Media Smart, I must say it's been the best addition to my home network.  Far out performs external hard drives and offers media on my PS3 and DirecTV reciever.  I've recommended highly to many friends and family members.  I'm will try the recommendations on this forum to disable/unistall PV Connect and will hope that improves the Console performance.  BTW, I only see the console as slow, the NAS/Shared folders-files' performance is quite good.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 6:19 PM