Optical drive visible in My Computer but cannot read discs RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Gigabyte Motherboard (GA-MA78GM-S2H) with 2GB of RAM, and a Lite-On iHAS424 optical drive.  I installed WHS with no problems, but now that it is up and running, I cannot use the optical drive.  I can open My Computer and see the drive (X:), but when I double click it to access it, I get a "Please insert a disc into drive X:" error.  Because it worked during install, I thought it may be a motherboard driver conflicting with WHS.  Let me know what settings I can give you or any further details I can provide to help solve this issue.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Eric

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:24 AM

Answers

• What software after installing Windows Home Server have you installed.
    Also just to check off the obvious - you do have  CD or DVD in the drive and you have tried a number of different CD's and DVD's and they all come up with "Please insert a disc into drive X:" ?

You could also try going to Device manager, uninstall the Optical Drive, reboot and then reinstall the drive.  However, it sounds like you drive may be dead - will it read the Install DVD you used to install Windows Home Server?

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    • Marked as answer by ERack Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:17 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:47 AM

All replies

• What software after installing Windows Home Server have you installed.
    Also just to check off the obvious - you do have  CD or DVD in the drive and you have tried a number of different CD's and DVD's and they all come up with "Please insert a disc into drive X:" ?

You could also try going to Device manager, uninstall the Optical Drive, reboot and then reinstall the drive.  However, it sounds like you drive may be dead - will it read the Install DVD you used to install Windows Home Server?

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    • Marked as answer by ERack Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:17 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 11:47 AM
  • Al,

I feel like a complete idiot.  I was using the same disc to read.  I tried another and it works.  It must have been the bad day I had yesterday; I was definitely off my game.  My fridge quit and my desktop ram went bad.  Thanks for guiding me the right way!

Eric.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:17 PM
  • No worries - happens to us all - glad it's sorted now.

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:28 PM