Windos 7 Beta support RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently added a machine which runs windows7 beta to the whs environment. I made a manual backup and everything went fine.

For resons not releevant here, I decided to scratch the disk and reinstall Windows 7. So I put the restore cd into the drive booted it up and gave it my WHS password. It connected, and showed me all the drives it did backup as well as all drivers. So I decided to restore. Thr process went about 25 minutes without any problem. At the end if finshed and rebootet - "no system drive found...." error message and I could not repair.

Is windows7 not support in whs ???

thanks

Erik
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 12:33 PM

Answers

• What brubber says is correct, of course. Windows 7 is still in beta, so it's use with WHS going to be unsupported. That said, I haven't had a problem restoring my W7 computer. I restored only the system partition, however (the larger of the two). In a computer with multiple drives, OSes, etc. you have a much more difficult task to determine exactly what to restore.

The exact error message wouldn't hurt, and I also agree with brubber that filing bugs with both the WHS and the Windows 7 Connect sites would be useful.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Rosdol Monday, February 2, 2009 8:25 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Rosdol said:

...] On the second try I even designated the little 200mb partition [...

As Ken remarked, even while not supported it is possible to restore Windows 7.
    I did some testing Windows 7 and WHS. Backed it up to WHS and then restored it succesfully.

1. For what I have seen, the "little 200mb partition" contains the Windows 7 boot code. So it must be restored to the first partition on your Wind7 boot disk (In my case I created a 200mb partition as the first partition and marked it as 'active' - No need to assign it a drive letre).

2. The Windows 7 partition should be restored to it's original location on the disk (in my case that was the second partion on disk) assigning the original driveletter used when Windows 7 was installed to it.

Any other combination will prabably result in a non-booting system. You only chance for repairing then is running the repair wizard (not sure if this is available for the beta) from the original installation DVD or a tool to edit the BCD?

Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, February 2, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Hi,
    I changed my setup and removed every harddrive except the disk containing w7. This worked fine for the restore. Next night I will go ahead,  do the original setup and try a backup resore. I f htat fails again, I'll post the error messages and a bug report to the Feedback site set out by Brubber

Thanx folks so far, I'll let you know the results

Erik

• Unmarked as answer by Rosdol Monday, February 2, 2009 8:25 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:24 PM

All replies

• I've done a restore of a Windows 7 computer with no problems. Can I ask what volumes you restored?
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 2:08 PM
  • I restored C: to C: after renaming the drive. I use to boot my systems off seperate drives, I change the boot disk in the BIOS and do not use any bootmanager). I have 3 other volumes, one of which contains a bootable xp ( the other is a data partition on the same physical disk, the third is a shadow set of 3 SATAs).
    When the wizzard came up, it listed the windows 7 dirve a G: (It is a SATA drive) whereas the xp volume vas C: (it is an IDE drive). The rest is a shadow set of two SATA drives, non bootable)
    I opened up the disk manager and changed the drive letters so the correct volume was restored. On the second try I even designated the little 200mb partition as E: and resoted that also with no change. on ther third try i
    did not change anything and restored C: (Win7 partition in the backup) to G: (wind7 partition in the phydical system.
    No change

You want me to try again and note exactly the error message ??

Erik
    Monday, February 2, 2009 10:03 AM
  • Since Win7 is still beta I would think it's not supported. There are definitely a number of issues regarding WHS and Win7.  If you say "could not repair" do you mean Win7 repair started from install DVD?

Personally I have never tried to restore Win7 from WHS backup. In your particular case I would disconnect all drives except the one which has Win7 before trying to restore.

If it fails again I would try to install Win7 on system with only single disk connected, Backup to WHS, then try and restore again (all of this with only single disk connected).

If this also fails it would be nice if you could file a bug report on Windows Home Server Connect Feedback site, and also bug this on Win7 beta Connect Feedback site.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 2:52 PM
  • What brubber says is correct, of course. Windows 7 is still in beta, so it's use with WHS going to be unsupported. That said, I haven't had a problem restoring my W7 computer. I restored only the system partition, however (the larger of the two). In a computer with multiple drives, OSes, etc. you have a much more difficult task to determine exactly what to restore.

The exact error message wouldn't hurt, and I also agree with brubber that filing bugs with both the WHS and the Windows 7 Connect sites would be useful.

Monday, February 2, 2009 3:43 PM
  • Rosdol said:

...] On the second try I even designated the little 200mb partition [...

As Ken remarked, even while not supported it is possible to restore Windows 7.
    I did some testing Windows 7 and WHS. Backed it up to WHS and then restored it succesfully.

1. For what I have seen, the "little 200mb partition" contains the Windows 7 boot code. So it must be restored to the first partition on your Wind7 boot disk (In my case I created a 200mb partition as the first partition and marked it as 'active' - No need to assign it a drive letre).

2. The Windows 7 partition should be restored to it's original location on the disk (in my case that was the second partion on disk) assigning the original driveletter used when Windows 7 was installed to it.

Any other combination will prabably result in a non-booting system. You only chance for repairing then is running the repair wizard (not sure if this is available for the beta) from the original installation DVD or a tool to edit the BCD?

Theo.

Monday, February 2, 2009 7:28 PM
  • Hi,
    I changed my setup and removed every harddrive except the disk containing w7. This worked fine for the restore. Next night I will go ahead,  do the original setup and try a backup resore. I f htat fails again, I'll post the error messages and a bug report to the Feedback site set out by Brubber

Thanx folks so far, I'll let you know the results

Erik

• Unmarked as answer by Rosdol Monday, February 2, 2009 8:25 PM
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Theo,

I did now further testing as noted above. My config was:

1 ide disk containing windos 7 (aka 200mb small partintion not letter, and C: with windows 7

1 SATA disk (two partitions) D: win xp E: Data
    2 Sata disks in a raid 1 config O: shadow_set

When I try to restore I see the following:

From WHS it believes that the 200mb (no drive letter partition)has to go to the C: 200Mb on the IDE drive
    then it recognizes the first SATA as D: (xp) and E: (data)
    then it recognizes the shadow set as F:

and then the second partition on the IDE as G:

I used device manager to reset the 200 mb on the IDE without drive letter (which gave a strange string of characters/numbers)
    then I reset the G: partition letter to use C:
    Then I did a restore - which again failed !!
    the messgae was (translated from Gemran) access to the required drive was impossible code 0xc000000f
    I would not repair it with the original Beta CD as suggested!

Is there anything I could try to restore correctly to my configuration ???

Thanks and rgeards

Erik
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 3:50 PM
    Rosdol said:

Then I did a restore - which again failed !!
    the messgae was (translated from Gemran) access to the required drive was impossible code 0xc000000f

Erik,

Not sure how to read this. Does the restore process itself fail - or does it complete but leaving the Windows 7 system on the IDE disk in a non-bootable state (boot failure  with code 0xc000000f)?

Theo.

PS - Just a thought: If the first is the case (restore process failing) it is likely that the restore wizard can not handle the SATA controller and/or RAID configuration. For this you probably eighter need to provide the restore wizard with additional SATA drivers, or set your BIOS to use the SATA in IDE Compatibility mode. Also note that RAID configurations may be problematic and are not supported?

Sunday, February 15, 2009 8:39 PM
  • Theo,

the restore process completed without problem, leaving a system disk in a non.-bootable state resulting in the rerror 0xc000000f.

I was careful to NOT restore the raid set and the other sata disk (XP) in the same operation, so I purely tried to reconstruct the system disk of win7.

Can this be a problem with the unnamed 200mb partition ??
    I just listed the other devices in the system so you see the weird configuration, aka:

C: ide disk 0 noname partition
    D: sata disk 1 system partition xp
    E: sata disk 1 data partition
    F: sata disk 2,3 Raid data
    G: ide disk 0 system partition win 7 - this is wierd, why is it G an not C/D?? It is the first and only ide disk and is recogozed as the first disk , but the second partition is G ??

Erik

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:42 AM