Had WHS working great, now getting depressed. RRS feed

• Question

• Curious if anyone else had a problem with CPU being pegged by lsass.exe and qsm.exe?  Also, went to do a server reinstallation and have run into problems now and can not reinstall WHS.

This happened after syncing a user account on Vista to the server.  It would not sync.  Deleted user account off WHS and tried again with the same username.  When WHS was creating the account it got hung up.  Left run for 45 minutes, finally shut down the server.  Ever since then the cpu was pegged.  I let it sit for a couple days.  No change, checked out I/O writes, reads, etc, all had counts around 560,000,000!

Finally gave up and tried server reinstallation.  That failed during the process (didn't capture the error message).  Than took out all the disks and backed them up.  Went to run fresh install and now I am getting an error message about not being able to locate/run winnt.sif. 

Just ran the clean install again.  It gets to the stage where it is installing windows and the error message is "The specified setup script file (c:\install\winnt.sif) is inaccessible or invalid.  Contact your system administrator"

I went looking for this file in C:\install\ but it is not there.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

An excerpt from the log is below.

[12/7/2007 9:26:04 PM  518] Copying file D:\WHS\umwhsarch.exe.
    [12/7/2007 9:26:04 PM  518] Success!
    [12/7/2007 9:26:04 PM  518] Install step is set to 4
    [12/7/2007 9:26:04 PM  518] Running Windows setup
    [12/7/2007 9:26:04 PM  518] Creating unattended setup configuration file in c:\install\winnt.sif
    [TRACE] CopyFilesRecursively : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] Looking for template C:\SATA300TX Series Windrv 1.00.0.39\i386\ulsata2.inf
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\SATA300TX Series Windrv 1.00.0.39\i386\ulsata2.inf, error 3
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\SATA300TX Series Windrv 1.00.0.39\i386\ulsata2.inf, error 3
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\SATA300TX Series Windrv 1.00.0.39\i386\ulsata2.inf, error 3
    [12/7/2007 9:26:04 PM  518] Found file Y:\SATA300TX Series Windrv 1.00.0.39\i386\ulsata2.inf
    [TRACE] Looking for template C:\SATA300TX Series Windrv 1.00.0.39\i386\ulsata2.inf
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\SATA300TX Series Windrv 1.00.0.39\i386\ulsata2.inf, error 3
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\SATA300TX Series Windrv 1.00.0.39\i386\ulsata2.inf, error 3
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\SATA300TX Series Windrv 1.00.0.39\i386\ulsata2.inf, error 3
    [12/7/2007 9:26:04 PM  518] Found file Y:\SATA300TX Series Windrv 1.00.0.39\i386\ulsata2.inf
    [TRACE] Looking for template _:\qs.ini
    [TRACE] Checked file C:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file D:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file X:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Checked file Y:\qs.ini, error 2
    [TRACE] Template _:\qs.ini NOT FOUND!
    [TRACE] FindOnMedia : Exited (0x80070002)
    [TRACE] FindSetupFile : Exited (0x80070002)
    [12/7/2007 9:26:04 PM  518] Spawning process [D:\SVR_2003\i386\winnt32.exe /copysource:lang /makelocalsource /syspart:c /tempdrive:c /unattend:c:\install\winnt.sif]
    [12/7/2007 11:19:56 PM  330] MessageBox: Windows Home Server Setup is in progress. No additional user input is required at this time. Setup is locked to avoid accidental input that could cause setup to fail. Would you like to interrupt setup?
    [12/7/2007 11:20:01 PM  518] ERROR: Process failed (with return code 1)
    [12/7/2007 11:20:01 PM  518] Process returned the following message:

[TRACE] ExecCmd : Exited (0x800703eb)
    [TRACE] RunWindowsSetup : Exited (0x800703eb)
    [12/7/2007 11:20:01 PM  518] Running Windows setup failed. Error 0x800703eb.
    [12/7/2007 11:20:01 PM  518] MessageBox: Running Windows setup failed: Cannot complete this function.

(error code 0x800703eb).
    [12/7/2007 11:20:03 PM  518] Windows Home Server setup failed. The error code is 0x800703eb. Please correct the problem and reboot to restart the setup program.
    [12/7/2007 11:20:03 PM  518] MessageBox: Windows Home Server installation failed. Do you want to view the installation log file?
    [12/7/2007 11:20:06 PM  518] Spawning process [notepad.exe "X:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\q_setup.log"]
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 6:26 AM

Answers

• Well Brubber I finally got it to work.  Not sure exactly why.  I tried the stuff on your list and was able to get it going when installing just an IDE drive.

When trying to perform a clean install earlier I only had one 500gb SATA drive connected.  I have another one that I was going to connect after getting the OS up and running.  For some reason I decided to connect them both and give it a try.  It worked.

Thanks again for the comments.
    Sunday, December 9, 2007 11:12 PM

All replies

• Before running clean install do a low level format of the hdd. Usually this can be done from the BIOS or with a hdd utility from the manufacturer. Otherwise put the disk in aother PC and do a full format of the disk. Then try reinstall again. Good luck! 

Saturday, December 8, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Thanks Brubber, I tried your suggestion, still getting the same error message. 

Have been reading through this forum for other possible solutions.  Found one which said to run qs.exe on another computer to create the qs.ini file on a usb drive.  That USB drive would than be inserted along with the WHS install DVD and could be used for a headless installation of WHS.  Well I tried that and no luck their either.

Could it be possible that somehow the product key is no longer valid?  I originally installed the eval version on my computer with an 80gb hard drive.  I later changed out the 80gb to a 500gb and had to call the Windows folks to get a new key.  I didn't write that new key number down, and have been using the original one for the clean install.  I ask this because when running the qs.exe file, it only created the qs.ini file which contains the following:

[Q Setup]
    ProductKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    ServerName=SERVER

I wiped out the actual product key.

Any other thougths?
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 5:04 PM
  • How have you set the drives in the Bios?

The log is showing error 3 when it's trying to install, which suggests that it needs drivers. I would suggest, as it's a complete new install, that you remove all drives except the one you intend using for the System, and then have the drivers that are required.

If it isn't a driver problem, it could be that the drive needs a low-level format with the tools from the drive manufacturer, prior to installation.

Colin

Saturday, December 8, 2007 7:36 PM
  • The drives are off a pci SATA2 controller.  The BIOS is currently set to only boot off the dvd drive.  I have the driver for the controller on a usb jump drive.  When the install programs prompts for the controller drivers I simply point to the driver on the jump drive and the install continues.  I previously installed WHS the same way.

The log shows that it finds the driver on the Y: drive.  I am currently performing the format and will see what happens.

Everything (MB, CPU, hard drives, controller, etc) is the same as when I originally installed WHS.  So I am really struggling to understand why it won't work this time.

Anyway, thanks for the idea.  Will post back with any results.
    Saturday, December 8, 2007 10:54 PM
  • No dice.  I am at a loss.  Not sure if I should toss the eval version and buy the full version.  Not too happy right now.
    Sunday, December 9, 2007 1:55 AM
  • Did you try a memory test?

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Sunday, December 9, 2007 2:16 AM
  •  GR8 Stuff wrote:
    Thanks Brubber, I tried your suggestion, still getting the same error message. 
    [Q Setup]
    ProductKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    ServerName=SERVER
    OK, sorry this one didn't work for you.

You can NOT reuse old keys. However you can install without entering the key, It will give you 30 days to activate using a valid product key. Possibly it's checking the product code to download updates, and then fails because you're using an invalid key. If you're installing RC1 you may go to connect website and obtain new key (If you haven't used them all unitl now). If its'OEM version you'll probably have to call MS to get new key

Other things you can try:

1. install without internet connection

2. install using only primary disk (IDE when possible)

3. set the SATA disk to run in IDE mode (BIOS). It will have minimal influence on performance, and in addition to that I have seen some threads overhere that make me think whs may have some problems with advanced SATA functions

4. get fresh install media

5. use a NEW dvd drive

6. Why set BIOS to boot DVD only? Normal would be 1:CD/DVD, 2: hdd,  3: whatever. Personally I set boot from DVD only for the first round of install and then change it back to hdd first

7. check http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1690915&SiteID=50

Sunday, December 9, 2007 3:35 AM
  • Well Brubber I finally got it to work.  Not sure exactly why.  I tried the stuff on your list and was able to get it going when installing just an IDE drive.

When trying to perform a clean install earlier I only had one 500gb SATA drive connected.  I have another one that I was going to connect after getting the OS up and running.  For some reason I decided to connect them both and give it a try.  It worked.

Thanks again for the comments.
    Sunday, December 9, 2007 11:12 PM
  • I think I know one possible thing that leads to failed install:
    I had my SATA drivers on my USB stick, which I hooked up to the computer to load my drivers. The first time I tried this tonight, I got the same error. I was considering trying my RC DVD, but I stubbornly retried with the OEM once more. This time, however, I removed my usb stick after the drivers were loaded into the system.

I think the reason is that the USB drive was labeled C: and that MIGHT have confused the installer a bit.
    • Proposed as answer by dude582223 Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:37 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:48 PM
  • I had the same install errors. I solved the problem by removing the usb drive right after I installed the needed drivers.

Thanks,

hssp
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:37 AM