none
A couple of questions.. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 120 day evaluation copy of WHS and will be installing it soon.

I currently have a media centre pc connected to my TV using a DVI-HDMI cable from the graphics card.  I then use windows media player to play the video files.  This media centre pc also acts as the server for the other computer on the network.

So I need to be able to use media centre and a couple of other bits of software on the WHS machine.

Is this ok?

Also, if I use the duplication option on some folders and then a drive fails, do I just plug a new drive in and it automatically puts the duplicated files back on it?

Thank you
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 9:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    yoir intention to use Windows Home Server and Mediacenter function on one system, is not supported with the current version of Windows Home Server and often not working well due to the limitations of the underlying Windows Server 2003 operating system. Some enthusiasts have done unique solutions anyway, but there is no guarantee that it will work. Windows Home Server in general should not be used as desktop replacement.

If you have duplicated shared folders, you remove the broken drive via console first and after that add a new drive. Duplication means that there is still a copy of that folder on a second disk, if one disk fails.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 10:42 PM
  • I currently have windows 2003 server on the pc and use media player on that no problem.  So if WHS is based on this and has the same limitations should it be ok?
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:51 AM
  • Andy, WHS isn't designed to function as a media center/home theater PC. The only supported ways to access your server are through the Windows Home Server Console for administrative purposes, and the shares or the Remote Access web site for everything else. The recommended configuration today is a "two box" solution, where you have a home theater PC with Media Center, and your home server supplies additional network storage for that PC.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 2:09 PM
  • ok, thanks for your reply.  So WHS is just a better NAS box?
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 2:35 PM
  • I guess you could say that, yes. WHS also allows developers to extend the platform more easily than a NAS device, however. This permits the development of extensions like home automation software, central AV control, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:10 PM