WSUS and Genuine Advantage tool RRS feed

• Question

• From my extensive searches on the web and my experience at work, I have come to the conclusion that the WGAT stops WSUS from working to some extent. But I cannot see 100% what stops and why. I also cannot see any way around it other than running windows updates manually to get past the tool. I tried getting my people to validate their windows on the Microsoft validation web site, but I'm not convinced that did the trick either.

Windows updates take so long too.

Can anyone be 100% about WGAT and WSUS ?

Sunday, May 21, 2006 9:15 AM

Answers

• humor begins----

Can anyone be 100% sure about anything

humor ends----

Is there a particular issue / scenario that you are experiencing we might be able to address? This is a really vague reference and I am not sure how to reply other than we currently have no known issues with WSUS and WGA. Client computers running in a Corporate environment behind WSUS should have no issue beause they are not validated. If you are having issues I would recommend you discuss this with your IT Department.

hth

dave

Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:06 AM

All replies

• humor begins----

Can anyone be 100% sure about anything

humor ends----

Is there a particular issue / scenario that you are experiencing we might be able to address? This is a really vague reference and I am not sure how to reply other than we currently have no known issues with WSUS and WGA. Client computers running in a Corporate environment behind WSUS should have no issue beause they are not validated. If you are having issues I would recommend you discuss this with your IT Department.

hth

dave

Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:06 AM
  • We are having the same problem.  Client computer will not receive updates from the WSUS server until I manually visit each computer, and install WGA.  I thought I had this problem licked, because I sat down and manually installed WGA on 80+ computers and then, this month, they put WGA back into Automatic updates and it is looking like I have to do it all over again.  None of our computers are updating again.  I thought WSUS was supposed to stop the administrator from having to manually visit each machine...
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:54 PM
  • I have been searching all over for answers to this same question - if there is a way to get WSUS to provide WGA updates to clients.  There still (July 2009) doesn't seem to be a way from my limited experience. 

We have been encountering inconsistent results with clients that obtain updates approved by WSUS.  From my tests with LAN clients so far, I am going to assume that if the appropriate updates have been approved in WSUS, clients will receive them without having to install the latest version of WGA. 

I encountered this with one XP client that received two WSUS approved updates and subsequently installed them but when we were browsing update history on the ms updates site, we soon encountered a prompt "Software Upgrade for Some Windows Components Required".  

Details of this notice showed the WGA validation tool KB892130.   

The conclusion I will draw is that the client will be forced to update the WGA tool if the user manually visits the updates site.  Otherwise, it should be okay update-wise.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Please repost your inquiry in the Discussion of WSUS on Windows Server.
    However, the answer to your question might be in this thread: Does WSUS require WGA?

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:06 PM