Can Windows Home Server Also Be The "Media Player?" RRS feed

• Question

• Can Windows Home Server directly play content? That is, can I build my own Windows Home Server, connect it to a TV and A/V Receiver and play music, video files, and picture files?

I am currently doing this with a Windows 7 PC. However, I recently acquired a free copy of Windows Home Server, and I like some of the other functionality such as remote access, sharing data with other PCs in the home, backup, Headless Operation, health monitoring, etc. Assuming this is possible, would I lose any functionality by going this route rather than using my Windows 7 PC as the "media player?"

Apologies if I am asking a question with an obvious answer.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:24 PM

Answers

• Can Windows Home Server directly play content? That is, can I build my own Windows Home Server, connect it to a TV and A/V Receiver and play music, video files, and picture files?

No. Windows Home Server is designed to deliver data to clients, which may include media players, computers, and various other sorts of devices. But it's not intended for use as a home theater PC.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by EdwardLee Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:15 PM
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:16 AM