Using Mesh with Other Websites and Services RRS feed

• Question

• I'm curious to know whether you'll allow individual users to write conduits to Mesh-enable already existing websites and services.  For example, I use Remember the Milk to manage my tasks, and would like to write an application for my phone that keeps my task list synchronized with the website automatically without having to deal with all the synchronization and network logic.  (Remember the Milk has an API for developers.)  Will I be able to do this without having to coordinate with the developers of Remember the Milk?

I imagine there are lots of web applications where a paradigm like this could be really useful.  Perhaps it would require that there be some sort of WebApp-to-Mesh converter service running on a user's computer or a Microsoft datacenter, but this seems like a small price to pay for being able to take advantage of the Mesh architecture.

(This actually reminds me a bit of the recent Apple announcement that there will be a push notification service for developers to create internet-enabled applications on the iPhone... where users can get the advantages of multiple connected internet applications without having to have a socket open for each program.  Hopefully Mesh can play the same role in handling the notification mechanism for multiple applications at once.)
    • Edited by aatreya Wednesday, July 2, 2008 8:53 PM update
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hi aatreya,

These are the sorts of scenarios that we'd like to enable for developers, but we'll be saying a lot more about the developer platform at PDC '08 - so stay tuned.  :)

Ben.
    Monday, July 7, 2008 6:52 PM