none
Editing a post that's been edited previously RRS feed

• Question

• Are there known issues with editing a post multiple times?  I've had various experiences when I try to edit a post that I've immediately previously edited (e.g. fixed a typo, then after clicking Save spotted another typo).

Sometimes I get a skeletal page containing the post text in a plain textbox.  Sometimes I get the post editor, but instead of containing just the text of the post, it contains the entire web page, including headers, buttons, links, etc).  Sometimes it works.

If this is a known issue with the forums software, so be it.  If not, I can spend some time trying to work up a repro case.  I've seen this happen too many times to blame it on random network goofiness or anything like that.

IE8 (32-bit) on Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)

-cd Mark the best replies as answers!
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 4:37 PM

Answers

• There are some known bugs and issues with our editor and editing a post multiple times. We have a lot of work to do in this area. Thanks for sharing your work arounds, that may help us more quickly address the basic problems.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Carl Daniel Monday, October 18, 2010 12:02 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 1:03 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Agreed this is a problem.

1) If you put in formatted code and subsequenty edit the post, double spaces between all code lines in post appear.  To recreate click on the Code part of the editor, paste code in there, select format type and post message.  Then go back in to edit...

2) If you edit too many times, you're taken to never never land.  In some cases the CuteEditor won't even appear, rather you are taken to the HTML version of the code only.

Javaman
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:45 PM
  • This appears to be session related as well. 

I've found that if I wait a while (30 minutes?) before attempting a second edit, it's usually OK.  Sometimes (not sure if it's always), closing the browser completely and navigating back into the forum, including logging in with LiveID, will result in a working editor.

This behavior is definitely tied to specific posts - editing the immediately previous post may fail multiple times, but editing an older post will immediately succeed.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Agreed, I've come to expect formatting to be a major trick, which I've perfected by using tables via excel, so for me in order to post a nicely formatted post, I have to paste code into excel, adjust column width, set font sizes (12) anything less is too small after submitting post.  Then I have to select all the rows in the Excel sheet and paste into the post.  That stops the auto-formatting stuff which is in my opinion broken.
    Javaman
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:43 PM
  • There are some known bugs and issues with our editor and editing a post multiple times. We have a lot of work to do in this area. Thanks for sharing your work arounds, that may help us more quickly address the basic problems.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Carl Daniel Monday, October 18, 2010 12:02 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 1:03 AM
    Answerer
  • chinga tu madre cabron todos uds. son putos
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:06 AM
  • Was something changed recently that would have improved this?  I haven't seen any problems with the editor in the last couple weeks - and I've definitely edited a very young post - something that always caused problems before.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:43 AM
  • Was something changed recently that would have improved this?  I haven't seen any problems with the editor in the last couple weeks - and I've definitely edited a very young post - something that always caused problems before.

Yes it got better for a while for me too - and then it went back to the previous behavior!

Josh

Saturday, November 20, 2010 3:37 PM