Back-up CD's corrupt RRS feed

• Question

•  

Good Morning

I've had a continuous problem.  Everytime I'm prompted to do an intermittent back up... it goes thru the process, I put in my Disk 1 and it stops and states Disk is 'not good'.   Then it resets so I have to start over with a new back.  At the next intermittent back up it occurs again.   My biggest concern in this occuring is that if I ever needed that back-up it wouldn't be any good anyways.   I keep having to destroy every cd/dvd and start over and don't trust I have anything that would be useful.    It use to do the update to back just fine last year. 

Also, just want to confirm, is the back-up feature in One Care backing up new, updated programs, system changes etc.  Is it just files I create?   As in the case I lost everything....  would the back up restore it? 

thanks for any assistance you can provide

Rosemarie

Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hi, Rosemarie. I recommend that you contact support regarding the continual corrupt disc error when trying to do the incremental backup.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

The way backup is supposed to work is that the first one backs up all data files as selected in your backup plan for "what." Note that this does not include programs or the operating system. The backup is very specifically data only. In the event of a failure of your system, you would restore the operating system and programs first using the manufacturer's restore to factory option, if available, or a reinstall of the OS and programs. Then, you restore the OneCare backup to get your data back. Each incremental backup is the addition of new and changed files only.

-steve

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hi, Rosemarie. I recommend that you contact support regarding the continual corrupt disc error when trying to do the incremental backup.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

The way backup is supposed to work is that the first one backs up all data files as selected in your backup plan for "what." Note that this does not include programs or the operating system. The backup is very specifically data only. In the event of a failure of your system, you would restore the operating system and programs first using the manufacturer's restore to factory option, if available, or a reinstall of the OS and programs. Then, you restore the OneCare backup to get your data back. Each incremental backup is the addition of new and changed files only.

-steve

Monday, August 25, 2008 5:47 PM
  • How  do you back up files? I tried and it says disk wont hold it. I have never backed up a file. Do I get a cd/or dvd or what and what size etc. Plain simple english..no big pc talk lol  thanks
    Monday, October 13, 2008 7:21 PM
  • If your PC has a DVD burner, purchase DVDR discs - +R or -R are mostly preference unless your PC maker makes a specific recommendation - not RW discs.

If your PC has only a CD burner, purchase a spindle/package of CDR discs, again now RW discs.

The follow the backup wizard in OneCare.

-steve

Monday, October 13, 2008 7:32 PM