product keys not matching, problem to come? RRS feed

• Question

• With all this talk about problems I have not yet installed the latest Genuine Advantage update from Windows Update. I have read most of the articles in this forum and one said that the in the output from WGADiag2.exe the "last digits" of the "Product Key" should match the "Product Key" on the label glued to the computer.

Now WGADiag2.exe 1.5.0526.0 does say "Genuine" but the product key shown and the label are completely different, not even a partial match.

Is this a problem to come?

Sunday, April 30, 2006 12:20 PM

Answers

• pmsalu:

Yes, most likely (though, I cannot guarantee what key is on your computer). Have you recently (or originally) had your computer serviced at a shop? That store may have put an illegal (or maybe even legal!) key on your system.

I would recommend (though obviously, it doesn't seem too logical) to reinstall your copy of Windows before we begin to block the certain product keys.

Your system's product key should match your COA sticker.

Good luck,

-Phil Liu

Monday, May 1, 2006 4:59 AM

All replies

• pmsalu:

Yes, most likely (though, I cannot guarantee what key is on your computer). Have you recently (or originally) had your computer serviced at a shop? That store may have put an illegal (or maybe even legal!) key on your system.

I would recommend (though obviously, it doesn't seem too logical) to reinstall your copy of Windows before we begin to block the certain product keys.

Your system's product key should match your COA sticker.

Good luck,

-Phil Liu

Monday, May 1, 2006 4:59 AM
  • Interesting. This is a high-end notebook ($2500) by a major US computer manufacturer bought in Dec 2005 from a reputable and manufacturer authorized US reseller. It has never been serviced and it was specially configured and put together by the manufacturer to my specifications. It came in the original manufacturer sealed box. There was no sign of tampering.

I have also checked a second individually configured tablet notebook by the same manufacturer and the codes on the COA and wgadiag2.exe (line 2 with the first two groups starred out) also do not match.

Also the product keys of the two notebooks as shown by wgadiag2.exe are different to each other, so it is unlikely that the manufacturer or reseller has used their own copy of Windows XP instead of the one supplied OEM with the notebook.

Any ideas?

Thursday, May 4, 2006 10:05 PM
  • pmsalu:

I can only speculate what kind of Product Keys the reseller used to install your copies of Windows. Many times resellers like to use volume keys to install Windows in order to make mass installations easier. This is not practice we recommend or allow these resellers, as it may cause complications for the end-customer down the line...

I recommend either:

1 - reinstalling WIndows so your COA's match the Product Keys used on your system.

2 - Using our Update tool that we are developing (releasing soon) to change your Product Key to match your COA.

I can't guarantee what will happen with the Product Keys used on your system, but I do know it is not good practice at all. :)

-Phil Liu

Friday, May 5, 2006 12:17 AM