none
Sign-In Expires at Inopportune Moments RRS feed

• General discussion

• It appears that the forum will keep a user signed in for a fixed period of time, I'm thinking 24 hours. When that period expires, the My Forum Links area reverts to its generic state and lists "Sign In" as an option. Only a new sign-in starts the clock running again.

This can lead to peculiar results. For example, I arrived today to view unread posts. I looked at the list, decided not to read anything, and clicked Mark All Read. The spinner appeared and I waited, but it never cleared. I eventually refreshed the page, whereupon I found myself signed out. Upon signing in, I found the same unread posts.

My guess about this is that my time expired between the time I arrived at the forum and the moment I decided to mark all read. That appears to have put the forum into some unstable state.

I suggest that the sign-in timer be set to something smaller, like 4 or 8 hours, and that it reset every time I do something within the forum. That means as long as I'm active in the forum I won't be signed out in the middle of an operation but I'll be signed out once I've been idle for the allotted time.

Will
    Baltimore, MD USA - www.fastie.com
    Monday, April 26, 2010 4:34 PM