Lost OS disk and 1 of 4 raid 5 disks at the same time. RRS feed

• Question

• My primary hard drive failed and had to be replaced. During the reinstall of windows, it began installing on one of 4 raid disks. Since the 3 remaining raid disks still have enough data to restore the 4th hard drive, I am wondering if and how I could tell the freshly installed operating system that all 4 drives are a raid 5 and then do a restore of the 4th drive? It is/was a software raid setup.
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:09 PM

Answers

• Can't believe how easy this was to fix. For anyone else, just go to computer management > disk management > right click on one of the good drives > import foreign disks > it will auto find the raid > ok. Then right click on the raid drive and click repair, and it will find the formatted drive (you might have to reformat the drive) and start syncing your information.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:23 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 4:09 AM

All replies

• If you have your disks connected to a RAID HBA, consult the manual that came with it, and their tech support web site, to determine how/if the array can be recovered. If you were using Windows software RAID, your data is probably lost.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:48 PM
  • It was a windows software raid. The install only deleted the partition, it didn't write any data to the drive, so I'm trying to recover the partition. Does anyone know a utility that could recover a partition that was part of a raid setup?
    Sunday, July 29, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Can't believe how easy this was to fix. For anyone else, just go to computer management > disk management > right click on one of the good drives > import foreign disks > it will auto find the raid > ok. Then right click on the raid drive and click repair, and it will find the formatted drive (you might have to reformat the drive) and start syncing your information.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:23 AM
    Monday, July 30, 2012 4:09 AM