BSOD on first reboot STOP: 7B error RRS feed

• Question

• I'm going to direct this to Ken since it sounds a lot like the issue discussed in this post:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whshardware/thread/22d40448-bda7-4134-bdd8-8d536126ae84

But obviously will welcome any assistance...

I just read the above and sounds like the same problem I'm having.  I am installing on a Dell-8400 (4 years old) with 2 internal Hard Drives (that are BOTH recognized by WHS in the first part of the install)  After getting this error the first time (and being out of the room so not sure at what point it came up) I started over and see now that it ocurs right after the F6 and F2-ASR prompts in the "text" based portion of the install (after the first reboot).  I noticed that my original C:\ drive had been re-partitioned with a 20GB "SYS" volume and the second drive was still recognixed but no partition setup yet...so that looks like it's working - right?

I will try the BIOS change (to Combination - as I already know it is set to "RAID/Autodetect/AHCI") to see if it gets past the error as well but as with the other post, I would like to use all 4 SATA connections but don't have a floppy drive kicking around - any other suggestions?  I thought I read in another post that there was a way to boot to a CMD prompt "in between" and COPY the required drivers to various C:\ folders?  If so - please advise.

Related question:  As noted - I have 2 internal SATA drives and wanted to add 2 EXTERNAL SATA drives (that come with the external "link-plug in" gadget - or whatever it's called (looks like it fits where a PCI card goes - has an eSATA port on the outside but just has the SATA cable for the MOBO on the inside) - but if worse case and I can't use the 2 other SATA connections on the MOBO (Combination Mode), if I purchase an PCIe card with 2 SATA ports - will that work if the BIOS is set to "Combination" ?  ie: will I be able to add 2 more eSATA drives via the PCIe card vs. using the 2 disabled MOBO SATA connectors?

Hope this makes sense.

BTW: maybe a dumb question - but as far as "required drivers" to supply for both the "GUI" and "Text" portions of the install - what drivers am I supposed to be supplying?  Specific drivers for my specific hard drives or the SATA controller?  My understanding is the latter.  Although I'm fairly aware of a fair bit of the technical stuff - I've never had to play around with the SATA contoller so not sure how to go about getting/finding the drivers for it?  Upon going to the DELL support site and looking for DRIVERS for SATA - I see this: "Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition version 4.5.0.6515, A08" - the comment says "Initial Release" - is this what I need?

And might as well ask this now - but when I reinstalled XP on this machine some time ago - Dell had me install various drivers after the OS was installed and in a particular order:
    1) DSS (Desktop System Software) - application to provide critical updates for the system?
    2) Chipset
    3) Video
    4) NIC

Not sure if I need to worry about any of the above with the WHS install?  I understand that I may need the NIC drivers...but not likely the VIDEO - but what about thje Chipset?

Thanks for the assistance...I should have known it wouldn't be as simple as the instructions ;-)

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    first I would recommend to use the drivers for the controller directly from the maker of the controller chip (Intel?) instead of the packages from Dell, which are a bit more outdated usually.
    Without a floppy drive you will not get very lucky with SATA only configurations. Maybe you can borrow a floppy drive somewhere from an old machine (as long as the mainboard has a connector, this should work) or try an USB floppy drive.

The other option would be to boot from a Vista DVD (or something similar), use its system repair command prompt and copy the extracted drivers from the USB stick (inf file to C:\Windows\inf, other files to c:\windows\system32\drivers).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Puulima Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:14 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 10:28 AM
  • My honest suggestion is to make sure that your motherboard has a floppy connector. Assuming it does, go buy a $7.00 floppy drive and a cable and connect it to your MB. (Don't bother actually installing it in the case, you won't be using it for all that long.) Then with the floppy sitting wherever, prepare your "F6 floppy" according to the controller manufacturer's instructions. Finally, install WHS supplying drivers on floppy at the appropriate moments.

If your motherboard doesn't have a floppy connector, you can try a USB floppy like this one. You may have to experiment with it; some USB controllers won't recognize a USB floppy at boot if there's no disk in the drive, and the drive has to be recognized before text mode setup starts for you to be able to load drivers from it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Puulima Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hi,
    yes, the DVD must stay in drive until all subsequent reboots during the installation are completed. Otherwise you may end up with an half installed, not fully functional WHS.
    If your storage is properly listed in the console (all disks?) and the console itself does not mention any errors, you are fine.
    The chipset drivers may or may not be usefull. They can enhance the performance, make components on the mainboard accessible, but also create a certain risk as which every driver to break something.
    The warning screen is always there, if you attempt to login directly to the server desktop, since all interaction should be done via console. Well, this is not possible for driver installation, so this cannot be avoided in such situations.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 10:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    first I would recommend to use the drivers for the controller directly from the maker of the controller chip (Intel?) instead of the packages from Dell, which are a bit more outdated usually.
    Without a floppy drive you will not get very lucky with SATA only configurations. Maybe you can borrow a floppy drive somewhere from an old machine (as long as the mainboard has a connector, this should work) or try an USB floppy drive.

The other option would be to boot from a Vista DVD (or something similar), use its system repair command prompt and copy the extracted drivers from the USB stick (inf file to C:\Windows\inf, other files to c:\windows\system32\drivers).

Olaf
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 10:28 AM
  • My honest suggestion is to make sure that your motherboard has a floppy connector. Assuming it does, go buy a $7.00 floppy drive and a cable and connect it to your MB. (Don't bother actually installing it in the case, you won't be using it for all that long.) Then with the floppy sitting wherever, prepare your "F6 floppy" according to the controller manufacturer's instructions. Finally, install WHS supplying drivers on floppy at the appropriate moments.

If your motherboard doesn't have a floppy connector, you can try a USB floppy like this one. You may have to experiment with it; some USB controllers won't recognize a USB floppy at boot if there's no disk in the drive, and the drive has to be recognized before text mode setup starts for you to be able to load drivers from it.

• Marked as answer by Puulima Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Hi Olaf & Ken,

I had used the DELL website a while back to view the "Current Configuration" and it spit this out (below).  I assume I should be looking for drivers for the BOLDED item?  I've never dealt with any HD controller aspects of my PC's before so bit of a learning curve here.  I do have an old floppy from an old PC and looks like I do have a Floppy connector drive connector so s/b able to go that route...just need to determine what I'm looking for.

Am I headed down the correct path?
    ---------------------------

UPDATE: I did some searching at the INTEL site and found this:

Intel® Application Accelerator RAID Edition
    TitleVer.#Date

5.5.0.10351/5/2006

The OS supported include Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.  The ReadMe.txt file notes it supports the controller bolded below and my processor.

It also notes the following:
    "The 'Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility' must be installed prior to installing the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager."

As I noted in my original post - DELL had instructed me to install that after I did a reinstall of XP - is this something I need to do (at some/what point?) for WHS?  And/or how does that relate to the SATA controller drivers install issue I'm having?

Thanks guys!
    sr

Hardware
    Type                                      Description                              
    DVD/CD-ROM Drives              SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E
                                                 PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631
    Disk Drives                            WDC WD2500JS-75NCB2 232.8Gb
    IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers     Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
                                                  Primary IDE Channel
                                                  Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller
    USB Controllers                     Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
                                                  Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659
                                                  Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A
                                                  Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B
                                                  Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 265C
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Yes, probably. You will have to consult your product documentation for specific instructions on preparing your F6 floppy.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 5:56 PM
  • The download for the SATA driver was an "F6" Floppy creation program...so just had to run it on another PC to create the floppy.  Did that and things were humming along nicely...and then an error.

The menu on the left of the WHS GUI was at "Finalzing Installation" and below that (where the specific installation step is noted along with the progress bar)  it notes "Continuing to configure storage" with NO progress indicated..ie: JUST started.  The folowwing POPUP Error Window says:

"Windows Home Server Setup Error"
    "Continuing to configure storage failed: The system cannot find the path specified.  (error code 0x80070003).

With an "ok" button only.

I found a post that noted the same error and the user had removed the Installation DVD - so he re-inserted it and the install "gracefully picked up where it left off".  I had removed the DVD last night...so just put it back in and clicked "OK" to the above error...it has rebooted a few times and has gone back to the "Finalizing Installation" so am I ok? - ie: was the error simply b/c it couldn't find the installation DVD?

Hope so...it did not seem to go back to the "continuing to configure storage" again so I'm a bit nervous...unless it found what it needed.  The first thing it did was reboot and run CHKDSK and reboot again...

It seems ok - had to manually install the NIC drivers (exclamation marked in Device Manager) but that was pretty easy.  I've now installed the Connector SW and accessed the server...all seems ok.  Both drives show up

Am I ok then?

Some other notes:
    - After the F6 prompt - I chose the item that matched by specific drive controller and chose the AHCI item (not the RAID item) - that is correct right?
    - I did not eject the Floppy after the initial F6 driver load.
    - I did not do anything to try & load the "chipset" drivers - not sure when/how I should do that?

There is a WARNING screen on the SERVER when you logon warning of "breaking" WHS - so not sure if I should do anything about the "Chipset" drivers on WHS?

Thanks for your assistance.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:09 PM
  • Hi,
    yes, the DVD must stay in drive until all subsequent reboots during the installation are completed. Otherwise you may end up with an half installed, not fully functional WHS.
    If your storage is properly listed in the console (all disks?) and the console itself does not mention any errors, you are fine.
    The chipset drivers may or may not be usefull. They can enhance the performance, make components on the mainboard accessible, but also create a certain risk as which every driver to break something.
    The warning screen is always there, if you attempt to login directly to the server desktop, since all interaction should be done via console. Well, this is not possible for driver installation, so this cannot be avoided in such situations.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 10:40 PM
  • All seems to be ok, it didn't seem to look for/need the DVD until I got the "path not found" error...then ok after that.  I can see BOTH drives in the remote console (don't think I saw the second drive in "My Compute" on the server itself though?) but the remote console reports both.  No other errors so far.

Couple of related questions:
    - I plan to add 2 external eSATA drives which come with the connector/adapters to allow me to plug into an eSATA connection on the PC which connects to the SATA connectors on the motherboard.  If I do that, I understand the drives are not "hot-swappable"  But if I purchase a PCIe card with 2 eSATA ports on it
        (a) will that work with WHS?
        (b) is that a better solution to connecting direct to the other 2 SATA connections on the motherboard in any way?

Thanks to you and Ken for all your assistance...and quick responses!
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:47 AM
  • Hi,
    hot swap is not supported with Windows Home Server and may (if done anyway) corrupt your data. Since this can happen also by mistake with external disks (a pulled cable is enough), external disks are not recommended from a practical point of view. But if you need to use such, E-SATA is still better than USB.
    Also be aware, that each controller, which needs separate storage drivers, may make a server reinstall harder or even impossible.

I personally would prefer to connect the disks to the internal controller and mount them internally.

Olaf
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:00 AM
  • good info...much thanks

I figured the hot swap wasn't something that was a good idea.  Only issue I guess is finding room in the case for 2 more drives...I haven't really looked into that...and I would guess I may need a better cooling fan if I add 2 additional (large) drives?  I'll look into that but may end up doing the eSATA hookup on the motherboard.  My server will be in an out of the way corner of my basement office so should be fairly safe from accidental disconnects...but internal would save the expense of external enclosures too...

Quick question:  I just mapped to several of the shared folders and each is being reported as having the capacity of the smaller of the 2 drives in the WHS machine (a 250 GB drive, also have a 640GB drive).  The Server Storage tab lists both drives and indicates the TOTAL capacity is 830GB so looks ok there...is this b/c I have Duplication turned on?  One of the folders that does NOT have duplication on (Public) also lists the capacity at the same (smaller drive) size?
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:20 AM
  • The total capacity is caused by the technology of Windows Home Server to add up all data volumes to one storage instance and provide this for backups and shared folders and duplicates. The capacity of the single physical disks does not play a visible role from the end users point of view, unless there is not enough space on two different physical disks to keep duplication running.
    That the mapped drives don't show the full capacity in Explorer points to the fact, that you have not yet applied all updates for Windows Home Server. (Before the patch KB957825 the space shown in drive mappings was always the free space of the D: drive of WHS.)
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:18 AM
  • I just noticed this morning that the capacity now reads the TOTAL amount available on all drives...and wondered why it changed.  There were updates available that I installed first thing this morning...so now I understand why.

I'm in good shape so going to mark this one answered.

Thanks Much!
    • Marked as answer by Puulima Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Puulima Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:12 PM