none
Unsure how to reclaim system disk space after WHS reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• After replacing a failed motherboard, I had to reinstall WHS.  The reinstall went fairly well, but when I look at my disk usage, it says that about 2.3T are consumed by "system" content.  This is roughly the same size of the "data" pool that was consumed prior to the reinstall.  I can't find an intuitive way to reduce the amount of disk space that now appears to be inaccessible as "system" space and didn't see any references in the forum.  How do I go about releasing these terabytes of space from "system" to data?
    Friday, February 26, 2010 2:19 PM

Answers

• My question was whether you supplied drivers at the start of setup. If so (or if there was an in-box driver that Windows Home Server could use), all of your drives would have been visible on the hardware detection screen before the reboot into text mode setup for Windows Server 2003.

So you're not interested in recovering anything? The easiest place to start is to use the console to remove all of your secondary drives from the storage pool. Then pull the drives and format them on some other computer, and then add them to the pool again. "System" is a catch-all for "space used on any Windows Home Server drive that isn't part of another wedge", by the way...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:14 PM

All replies

• Is (or was) your motherboard configured to use SATA/RAID/AHCI? Did you install storage drivers when needed (on the hardware detection screen at the beginning of setup)?
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:41 PM
  • Hi Ken.
    Thanks for reading and responding to this thread (you seem to be very knowledgeable and active).  All of the drivers were installed and the configuration appears to be correct.  I can see all of the drives when I look at the server storage from the WHS console and they have all been added to the total server pool.  Where my "system" consumption used to be measured in around 30g (based on memory, so not exact), and the rest allocated to backups, shared, duplicate and "free" space, after the reinstall, the landscape changed dramatically (the total that was in shared and backup now seems to be consumed by "system" storage).

I didn't even try to recover the data as I had backed all of the shared files up to my NAS and it's easily recoverable (yeah, I'm ultra paranoid on redundancy).  So I'm not actually concerned about retrieving what is in that 2 terabytes of data, but more interested in just having that space available to now copy the files back over from my NAS.

Am I making sense, or just confusing?
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:48 PM
  • I forgot to mention that my "gut" approach to remedying this is to do the following:

For each of my drives, except for my "system' drive, remove the drive from service (in the server storage pane), and then re-add it, hoping that when i remove it, all of the "data" will be balanced onto the other drives, and when i re-add the drive, it will be reestablished with its entirety of space now available. 

Before I tread down that path, I was hopeful that somebody had a proven solution, or could at least comment on whether my "gut" approach made sense.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:04 PM
  • My question was whether you supplied drivers at the start of setup. If so (or if there was an in-box driver that Windows Home Server could use), all of your drives would have been visible on the hardware detection screen before the reboot into text mode setup for Windows Server 2003.

So you're not interested in recovering anything? The easiest place to start is to use the console to remove all of your secondary drives from the storage pool. Then pull the drives and format them on some other computer, and then add them to the pool again. "System" is a catch-all for "space used on any Windows Home Server drive that isn't part of another wedge", by the way...

Friday, February 26, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Shockingly, not interested in retrieving anything.  I've successfully generated fresh backups of my connected PCs so go-forward protection, and each has historical backups on a consumer backup site for any changes over the past 3 months.  All of my shared data can be restored from my NAS - it pays to be paranoid.

I'll go forth and try the plan, and post with the results.  And affirmative on your question about drivers.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 6:33 PM
  • Seemed to be squared away.  Didn't really need to "remove" drives from the pool, as once I hit the threshold of not being able move the contents of a target drive to the rest of the pool I wasn't given an option to "remove anyway" (hoped it would just throw away the contents when the drive was removed).

So...all good.  Essentially it meant doing a fresh installation.  Formatting all of the drives and adding them back in.  Took a long time, but I'm whole again.

What would be nice?  A tool to support the management of contents within the pools.  I'm sure there's a way to reclaim space as I originally desired, so any further advice may help the next person who stumbles upon this.  Thanks again, Ken.
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:43 PM