How to change WHS server name RRS feed

• Question

• How can I change the name I gave to my windows home server?
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:30 PM

All replies

There is no supported way of changing it (except a Server Reinstallation).

You can try logging into the server desktop (which is unsupported) and changing it there.  However, if you do that, you might have to re-join all of your clients (and perhaps re-configure your Remote Access website as well).

Saturday, August 21, 2010 8:32 PM

You may change your Windows Home Server network name after setup completes. Log into the Administrator desktop via a Remote Desktop session. Click Start , right click My Computer and click Properties . On the Computer Name tab you can change the machine name by clicking the Change button.

If you change your server’s name after installing the Home Server Connector on your home computers you will have to re-connect them to the server by either re-installing the Home Server Connector software or by running discovery.exe from the %PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Home Server directory on your home computers. There's a PDF overview here .

I renamed my server, then attempted to re-install the connector on each of the clients. This failed on the “configuring computer backup” stage on each PC. After much playing around, I found the cause to be that the connector software on the server was out of sync with the software I was attempting to install on the clients (i.e. the ones with my SQUASH installation CD).

To fix the problem I needed to browse to \\server\software (using Administrator and password), copy the “Home Server Connector Software” directory locally and run Setup.exe. No more problems configuring backups. 

Hope this helps anyone that has similar problems, I'm actually busy getting ready self publishing a book on WHS this Oct 10 on this important matter.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:06 PM