stock spinoff not working RRS feed

• Question

• I own UTX which had two spinoff companies created today.   I have owned UTX for many years and there are a number of buy and sell transactions entered into MS Money Sunset.   When I try to enter the new spinoff companies into MSMoney, I get the following error message “this operation can not be performed”.    Out of curiosity, I tried a fictional spinoff of Microsoft, which has only has one buy and no sell transactions in MSMoney, and the operation worked perfectly.   I suspect that, in the case of UTX, the numerous buy and sell transactions are preventing MSMoney from successfully processing the spinoff.  

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and if they have a solution for it.

Thanks for your help

JohnR

john r

Friday, April 3, 2020 6:46 PM

All replies

• The following presumes Money Plus. Earlier versions had spinoff problems.

I would try a quick file repair, and try again. If no joy, you could try making a repaired version of your file with a level 2 standard repair. Open the repaired file, and try your spin.

I also don't know if you can enter two spinoffs for the same day, so you might make them on different days.

Friday, April 3, 2020 7:27 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply.   Maybe I am too impatient.   I will try tomorrow.   If the spinoff doesn't work I will try the quick file approach that you suggested.   I have lot's of time to play with this!    

cheers,   J

john r

Friday, April 3, 2020 9:54 PM