Indexing stuck at 10k pages RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a few questions:

The sitemap for our site (www.evri.com) has been submitted and it appears that we are being crawled by MSNBot.  However, the number of pages indexed has remained stuck at ~10k for the past several weeks, which is approximately 1% of the pages in our sitemap.  I have gone through the checklist provided by MSN's automated help system regarding quality pages, backlinks, etc. and have not identified any obvious ways in which we deviate from the suggestions in the checklist.  Can you please help me to determine why the indexing would have stopped at 10,000 pages?

Also, on a related question, when I type site:evri.com into the MSN search box, it says that there are 6,640 results, which seems inconsistent with having ~10k pages indexed, so I was hoping you could explain why this discrepancy occurs. 

Finally, recently (on 11/3), we implemented no-follow for a number of links to redundant pages on our site.  However, it appears that many of these links (e.g., http://www.evri.com/person/barack-obama-0x16f69/relations/qt/joined-by-0x78.html) which were crawled on 11/8/08 are still included in the index.  Can you please help me to understand why this is the case and if there is any other action we should be taking to implement these no-follow links?

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
    Evriguy
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 1:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Evryguy,

I wanted to let you know that I've been looking at this indexing issue and will be researching this indepth with my manager. Hopefully we will have a solution shortly. I noticed we just crawled your site. I also noticed we dropped many pages from the index. Did this take care of the nofollow pages?  I went ahead and used our ping service to resubmit your sitemap. I suggest doing this once a week or so to see what happens.

Here is the link to our ping service:

http://webmaster.live-int.com/webmaster/ping.aspx?siteMap=evri.com/sitemap-index.xml

I also noticed there were a couple crawling issues--not big ones, but you might want to check them out in our tools.

Brett
    Friday, December 5, 2008 4:50 PM