Web Components -- Installation failed RRS feed

• Question

• i am tring to install ocs 2007 on win 2003 R2 Ent x64 with sp2. I am getting an error when adding the server to the pool. The web components installation is failing at the step "Installing ASP.NET 2.0 script map for GroupExpansion virtual directory". When I check the installation log this is what i found in few places.

• The call to SRSetRestorePoint API failed. Returned status: 0. GetLastError() returned: 127
    • MSI (s) (8C:C4) [12:54:43:687]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI19.tmp, Entrypoint: WriteMetabaseChanges
      WriteMetabaseChanges:  failed to open root key, retrying 0 time(s)...
      WriteMetabaseChanges:  failed to open '/LM/W3SVC/952638436/Root/GroupExpansion/' key, retrying 0 time(s)...
      WriteMetabaseChanges:  failed to open '/LM/W3SVC/952638436/Root/Abs/Ext/' key, retrying 0 time(s)...

On checking the event logs, W3SVC-WP is generating this error:

"ISAPI Filter 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\aspnet_filter.dll' could not be loaded due to a configuration problem. The current configuration only supports loading images built for a x86 processor architecture. The data field contains the error number. To learn more about this issue, including how to troubleshooting this kind of processor architecture mismatch error, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=29349."

Please let me know if any one had this problem and solved it. Many thanks.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 12:27 PM

Answers

• Unforunately your problem is the OS version - OCS is not supported on 64-bit platforms, only 32-bit. To correct the problem, you are going to want uninstall any OCS components, format the server, and install Windows Server 2003 x86 sp1.

Thanks and sorry for the bad news.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 8:43 PM
  • This is from the OCS Planning Guide:

Support for 64-bit Operating Systems

Office Communications Server 2007 supports the following tested 64-bit configurations

·         The 64-bit edition of SQL Server™ 2005 SP1 on the Back-End Database of an Enterprise pool or the Archiving and CDR database.

·         Running the 32-bit version of the Access Edge Server on 64-bit hardware with WOW64 mode on the 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2003 SP1 and above.

·         Running the 32-bit version of the A/V Edge Server on 64-bit hardware without WOW64 mode on the 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2003 SP1 and above.

·         Running the 32-bit version of Standard Edition server on 64-bit hardware with WOW64 mode on the 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2003 SP1 and above.

Monday, April 9, 2007 5:52 AM

All replies

• Unforunately your problem is the OS version - OCS is not supported on 64-bit platforms, only 32-bit. To correct the problem, you are going to want uninstall any OCS components, format the server, and install Windows Server 2003 x86 sp1.

Thanks and sorry for the bad news.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 8:43 PM
  • How come the OCS allowed me to install in the first place and its only failing with web components installation. Dont the installation checks this basic requirement of OS when its doing all other checks. I have searched on google and found out that that you can install OCS 2007 on 64 bit, but it will run as a 32 bit application. Even microsoft documentation never mentioned that this product is not for x64 bit.

Friday, April 6, 2007 9:09 PM
  • The last word I had heard was that the final plan for OCS was for the application to be 32-bit only but would be supported running oin a 64-bit system in the 32-bit WOW. So, while your config in the end should be supported (again, that is what is planned) it does not appear to be 100% there. I will definately update development with your errors but as an immediate workaround, a 32-bit OS will solve your problem.
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 4:41 AM
  • This is from the OCS Planning Guide:

Office Communications Server 2007 supports the following tested 64-bit configurations

·         The 64-bit edition of SQL Server™ 2005 SP1 on the Back-End Database of an Enterprise pool or the Archiving and CDR database.

·         Running the 32-bit version of the Access Edge Server on 64-bit hardware with WOW64 mode on the 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2003 SP1 and above.

·         Running the 32-bit version of the A/V Edge Server on 64-bit hardware without WOW64 mode on the 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2003 SP1 and above.

·         Running the 32-bit version of Standard Edition server on 64-bit hardware with WOW64 mode on the 64-bit edition of Windows Server 2003 SP1 and above.

Monday, April 9, 2007 5:52 AM
  •  Thom Foreman-Moderator wrote:

This is from the OCS Planning Guide:

i have installed the ocs on 32 bit server and finally got it worked. you cant add an user to OCS from a 64 bit MMC. you have to run it from a 32 bit machine

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:40 PM
  • I'm installaing OCS Standard Edition on 32-OS bit but still getting the same error "MSI installation failed.Pls check the log for more details."
    • Proposed as answer by Will A Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:39 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2007 6:51 AM
  • Please make sure that you have downloaded the complete file before installing it. It looks like the MSI file you downloaded is corrupt. When you install MSI, it will only unzip the contents of it and have to browse to setup/i386 folder to install ocs
    Friday, April 13, 2007 9:25 AM