none
new hard drive for my laptop RRS feed

• Question

• oops. seem to have filled the harddrive on my laptop. how do i get a new one? do i have to take it to a shop or is it something one can install oneself? do i have to get rid of the old one or can i just add to it?
    Friday, February 16, 2007 11:04 AM

Answers

• Unlike a desktop, a laptop only has room for a single hard drive, so if you've really filled up your existing one, you'll have to get an upgrade to a larger drive. This will entail moving your system to an intermediate storage device, replacing the old hard disk, then restoring your system to the new drive. If you can do all this yourself, go ahead. If you have any doubts, and really value your existing system, I recommend getting professional help.

Good Luck

Friday, February 16, 2007 4:18 PM

All replies

• dear rajnikanth

what is the made of your laptop ? if you have enough room space in your laptop cabinet then you can install another hdd but if not the only thing is to replace the current Hard drive .

what is the capacity of your hard disk ? buy a new hdd like 100GB etc and replace the old one.. so that you have enough disk space....

there are many other alternatives too like connecting to an external Hdd but the thing is you must be bothered to carry those external stuffs.

Friday, February 16, 2007 1:37 PM

• Unlike a desktop, a laptop only has room for a single hard drive, so if you've really filled up your existing one, you'll have to get an upgrade to a larger drive. This will entail moving your system to an intermediate storage device, replacing the old hard disk, then restoring your system to the new drive. If you can do all this yourself, go ahead. If you have any doubts, and really value your existing system, I recommend getting professional help.

Good Luck

Friday, February 16, 2007 4:18 PM
  • get a external harddrive it will be easy to install and costeffective too

you can buy regular Desktop drives and port them to USB or IEEE1394 firewire  based drives by adaptors available for as cheap as 200bucks  (rates in nehru place  N.Delhi)

cost---> 1900 WDM 80 gigs 7200rpm

+       200 techcomm adaptor for convertor

-------------------------------

-------------------------------

Friday, February 16, 2007 4:43 PM