Why is a desktop.ini file created in every new Shared Folder I create in the console? RRS feed

• Question

• Why is a desktop.ini file created in every new Shared Folder I create in the console?
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, February 5, 2010 5:06 PM

Answers

• If you use your server's desktop to browse your shares, then you are creating the desktop.ini files yourself. Don't use the server desktop, and that file won't be created.

For more information about desktop.ini, I recommend searching on Technet and/or the Microsoft knowledgebase. This might be a good first article to read.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:57 PM

All replies

• Are you browsing those shares from your server's desktop? Windows may create a desktop.ini file to contain folder customization information, but it should only do so on a local folder, not a network share or mapped drive.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:22 PM
  • I am creating them from the Windows Home Server Console in the Shared Folders area.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:24 PM
  • James, I didn't ask how you're creating them, I asked if you've been using your server's desktop to browse them.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Yes, I am using the server's desktop to browse them and also I am not using it and using a mapped drive on a regular PC. SO the answer is both ways.
    James A+, Network+, MCP
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:44 PM
  • If you use your server's desktop to browse your shares, then you are creating the desktop.ini files yourself. Don't use the server desktop, and that file won't be created.

For more information about desktop.ini, I recommend searching on Technet and/or the Microsoft knowledgebase. This might be a good first article to read.

Friday, February 5, 2010 6:57 PM