Can i use it? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi DJF33,

There really is no way to tell if the key is still being used on another computer. When you install Vista, using that key, and try to Activate over the Internet, you Will receive the error "Key already in Use" this only means that the key was used, in the past, to activate another computer. There is no way to know if the old owner has uninstalled the copy of Vista that he originally used that key in.

But as long as it's Genuine (and if the picture on ebay is the actual product, then it does appear to be Genuine) and as long as you have the Certficate of Authenticity, you are the legal owner.

One thing you can do, is once you receive the Vista, install it and then download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then create a NEW forum thread and paste the Diagnostic Report into it. I can then tell you if the key is Genuine and how many times the key has been used. 

Again, this won't tell you if the old owner has uninstalled the copy of Vista that he originally used that key in. But it will tell you if key is genuine and/or if the key is leaked and is being used by everyone and their brother or not.

Thanks for your question,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 12:27 AM

All replies

• Hi DJF33,

There really is no way to tell if the key is still being used on another computer. When you install Vista, using that key, and try to Activate over the Internet, you Will receive the error "Key already in Use" this only means that the key was used, in the past, to activate another computer. There is no way to know if the old owner has uninstalled the copy of Vista that he originally used that key in.

But as long as it's Genuine (and if the picture on ebay is the actual product, then it does appear to be Genuine) and as long as you have the Certficate of Authenticity, you are the legal owner.

One thing you can do, is once you receive the Vista, install it and then download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then create a NEW forum thread and paste the Diagnostic Report into it. I can then tell you if the key is Genuine and how many times the key has been used. 

Again, this won't tell you if the old owner has uninstalled the copy of Vista that he originally used that key in. But it will tell you if key is genuine and/or if the key is leaked and is being used by everyone and their brother or not.

Thanks for your question,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 12:27 AM
  • Thank you for your help Darin Smith,  will get back when i have installed it

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 7:40 PM
  • Hi Darin Smith,

I have just recevied the windows vista dvd from the sell, i know you said if i installed it on my pc you could see if it's ok, but i have bought it for my new pc that i am building am unsure if my present pc would run it., and if i would loose access to files.

The box has the Certificate of Authenticity sticker on top of box and the Product key on the inside flap and the dvd has all the holograms on the dvd.

The things i can not tell from the box is if its a  SurpriseEM or RETAIL version   

:IF PRODUCT KEY WILL WORK

:THAT IT'S A FULL VERSION NOT A UPGRADE ONLY DVD

These may sound stupid things to ask but this is my first PC build and first time i have bought a windows OS DVD.

I need to find these things out quite quickly because if i am not able to use this dvd to load windows vista on to my new pc then i am hopefully able to send it back for a refund.

Thank you for your time.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 8:40 PM