BEWARE!!! EBAY and Counterfeit windows XP pro SP3, now really messing up my newly built computer! RRS feed

• Question

• !!!! DON'T BUY WINDOWS PRODUCTS OFF EBAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently built a new computer.  All worked well from assembly thru installing drivers.  I then needed an OS.  I have Vista on a laptop, but it doesn't work as easily as my old XP worked.  I'm afraid to try Windows7.  I was unable to find a copy of XP Pro in nearby stores, so, I went online to buy it.  Was set to buy it thru CompUSA online, when I saw ebay auction for a 'Genuine XP PRO with SP3 ending in 5 min and from a seller in the town next to me. I figured I'd get it in a day.  So, I jumped at the chance and and got it.  Only $51( my first clue to trouble) , but it looked ok, installed fine, accepted the key, and worked wellas I transferred in all programs and files.
    THEN i connected to the internet, and connected with Windows update.  First I'm told'this copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation.
    Went to Microsoft and went through all the questions and signs of counterfeiting. It appears it is counterfeit or at least was not to be sold to an individual.
    Went thru all the steps for Genuine Advantage, packed everything up and will mail it.
    NOW THE PROBLEMS - WALLPAPER TURNS BLACK. CONSTANT POP UPS TO DOWNLOAD UPDATES AND NEED TO RESTART.  WHEN IT RESTARTS, IT KEEPS GETTING HUNG UP. SOMETIMES EVEN BEFORE WINDOWS STARTS.  THIS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE I CONNECTED TO MICROSOFT.  I SURE CAN'T WAIT FOR MS TO EVALUATE THE SOFTWARE AND, MAYBE, HELP ME.  I WILL TRY TO DOWNLOAD THEIR $149 OFFER AND SEE IF IT WORKS.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:43 PM

Answers

• Hello Golferlon,

By what you wrote here, "Went thru all the steps for Genuine Advantage, packed everything up and will mail it." I assume that you did the piracy report and printed it out and have the address to send your materials to for evaluation as high quality counterfeits and possible free replacement.

It can take 4-6 weeks for that evaluation and free replacement process to run its course.

The problems you are experiencing are partly due to how the WGA Notifications utility works.  The utility is changing your desktop background to black once per hour--this is intentional.  (You can change it right back.)

The problems upon restart after updates could be due to the fact that one of the updates is the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Utility.  It is designed to remove certain prevalent malicious software, and one of the dangers of getting a counterfeit copy of Windows such as what you got is that there could be a lot of malware embedded in the fake disc, and it could be that the Malicious Software Removal Tool is getting into a "deathmatch" with the embedded malware after each restart.

And how right you are...there is waaaay too much counterfeit and nongenuine software being sold on auction sites.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:55 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hello Golferlon,

By what you wrote here, "Went thru all the steps for Genuine Advantage, packed everything up and will mail it." I assume that you did the piracy report and printed it out and have the address to send your materials to for evaluation as high quality counterfeits and possible free replacement.

It can take 4-6 weeks for that evaluation and free replacement process to run its course.

The problems you are experiencing are partly due to how the WGA Notifications utility works.  The utility is changing your desktop background to black once per hour--this is intentional.  (You can change it right back.)

The problems upon restart after updates could be due to the fact that one of the updates is the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Utility.  It is designed to remove certain prevalent malicious software, and one of the dangers of getting a counterfeit copy of Windows such as what you got is that there could be a lot of malware embedded in the fake disc, and it could be that the Malicious Software Removal Tool is getting into a "deathmatch" with the embedded malware after each restart.

And how right you are...there is waaaay too much counterfeit and nongenuine software being sold on auction sites.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 9, 2009 9:55 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:50 PM